Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 PM

21 posts, read 50,620 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking for the past month reading various posts and trying to learn as much as I can about WV, particularly the Morgantown area. My wife has applied for a position in Morgantown and from what we know, chances that she will get it are really high. I am in my late 20s and she is in her mid-20s. I am the IT Administrator at a healthcare facility in Kansas and will be looking (well, currently looking at least) for something in the same industry. So far, I have my eye on the WV University Hospitals and Mon General Hospital.

We will be visiting this weekend (arriving Sunday afternoon and leaving Tuesday evening; flying in and out of Pittsburg.) I would like to get a general feel for the area and the wonderful residents, housing/houses for sale, possibly check out parks in the area, schools (elementary to high), the library, etc. We are considering living just on the outskirts of town and commuting anywhere from 15mins to 45mins. to work / shop for groceries, etc.

My main worry about moving is getting into a position that's at the same level I am at right now. I might have to take a paycut, but we'll just have to see. What makes me optimistic is that the employment rate in the area hasn't plunged like in other places.

All in all, I'm pretty excited but still trying to keep a level head and think objectively about the things that really matter, and make the right decisions based on that. I'm of the opinion that people in the area are about the same here: hardworking, open-minded folk that don't live above their means to keep up with the Joneses.
So what suggestions / recommendations / words of advice would you give to us newbs to WV? Thanks in advance for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:03 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Get over the "fear factor...Mon General is one of the great hospitals...full of great people.

As for living in the area...get out of town...several wonderful subdivisions are in the area...just south at the Goshen Exit is the community of Thistledown.

Ask the hospital people where they live...they will steer you in the right direction.

This area is the best work area of the USA...and its future is guaranteed. (Obama or not)...and the chance of a tornado is nil.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:09 AM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Random thoughts? Ok.

Learn the words to Country Roads.

Most Morgantowners roll up to Pittsburgh once a month or so. It's only an hour away. I'd research the "things to do" type of stuff up there, too. You'll be glad you did. It's nice to have the convenience of a major city an hour away but with no crime at home. Just go straight up I-79.

You won't be able to tell where people are from by their accents. WV has about 6 distinct accents.

Pepperoni rolls are delicious. The best quickie road food on the planet. Only available in WV.

For the love of all things good and holy, stay away from Sunnyside on days where the WVU football or basketball teams play.

This little video (http://www.pikewoodcreative.com/Showcase/Morgantown/index.html - broken link) is a nice little propaganda piece about the town. Might give you some ideas of what to do.

More random thoughts later...

Old 03-07-2009, 12:47 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback so far.
Learn the words to Country Roads? As <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Home,_Country_Roads">this</a> Country Roads?

While the Thistledown community looks good, the idea of a HOA just..doesn't...sound..appealing to me. I'd like to avoid those at all costs.
D.K., you mentioned Obama which raised another question. What are the typical leanings of people in the area? Our current location is very conservative.

Having attended a school in a college town, does Morgantown go "dead" at the end of semesters after all the kids leave?

What are the very good / best elementary schools in the area?

Thanks for the video., btw. It definitely gives more insight.

Last edited by LeChevalierNoir; 03-07-2009 at 12:58 AM..

Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 AM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChevalierNoir View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback so far.
Learn the words to Country Roads? As <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Home,_Country_Roads">this</a> Country Roads?
Yup, you'll fit RIGHT in. It's played at around midnight at every nightclub in town...and everyone joins in....ah, good times...

Quote:
While the Thistledown community looks good, the idea of a HOA just..doesn't...sound..appealing to me. I'd like to avoid those at all costs.
Check out Suncrest for a place to live. Best area in town, IMO. There was a thread on here not too long ago that went into GREAT detail about the area and the best places to live...it would serve you to find it on here.

Quote:
D.K., you mentioned Obama which raised another question. What are the typical leanings of people in the area? Our current location is very conservative.
The townies tend to have a conservative bend. The younger folks moving in and the students tend to be more liberal. It's a pretty good mix...you'll run into the whole gamut.

Quote:
Having attended a school in a college town, does Morgantown go "dead" at the end of semesters after all the kids leave?
Not really. The 18-22 year old demo might, but all of the cultural things stay around. In fact, I prefer it because the older graduate/health sciences students stayed to give you a more controlled youthful populace and the rush hour traffic jams go away.

Quote:
What are the very good / best elementary schools in the area?
They are all decent. What makes ones "better" than other are just that the professors/rich folk with the academic genes send their kids to the "better" schools as ringers and they get better test scores.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:49 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Outdoor activities are big in West Virginia. White water rafting on the Cheat River, kayaking, of course hunting and fishing.

About 10 miles east of town, just off I-68, is Coopers Rock State Forest. Lots of other State Parks/Forests within a couple hour drive... WV's State Parks are regarded by many as the best in the East.

Practice waving. Not as in the stands at a football game, but at people you meet. Driving down the road, wave to other drivers, people walking, people sitting on their front porches. And say hello to people you meet on the street.

Besides pepperoni rolls, prepare for ramps and WV Hot Dogs.

"Take Me Home, Country Roads" is much more than a song, it's an anthem, and a prayer, to many.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:57 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
At least take a drive to the Cheat Lake area and Greystone. It's so pretty.
Pix at Home
There are fancy houses in Greystone as well as Townhouses and condos.

Your conclusions and the advice already given is spot-on.

FYI:
Recreation 45 min - 2 hours from MoTown (here a 2 hour drive is considered nothing):
Canaan Valley, Blackwater Falls, West Virginia Travel and Vacation Information
Blackwater Falls State Park - West Virginia State Parks
VISIT CANAAN VALLEY | BLACKWATER FALLS | TUCKER COUNTY | WEST VIRGINIA (http://www.canaanvalley.org/West-Virginia-Vacations/stufftodo/Nearby.html - broken link)
Welcome to the Heart of West Virginia
Deep Creek Lake Area | Garrett County, Maryland

A little further in WV:
West Virginia Vacation Planning, Travel and Tourism Information - Southern West Virginia CVB (People come to the Fayetteville area from all over the world for the white water rafting and Bridge Day).
Snowshoe Mountain Ski Resort - Official Website - Snowshoe, West Virginia

Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 AM

Wow! This is probably it! My wife and I have talked a lot about a place we want to call "home" for our family...somewhere beautiful with friendly people. Here in rural KS, we used to wave when driving by and somehow, it got lost as the town got bigger.
I don't mind driving as long as the scenery is beautiful. The closest international airport is 3 hrs away (where we have to fly out of tomorrow) and it's one of the most boring drives you'd ever have to take....granted the plains are beautiful and the rolling hills are a sight to see, it's nothing compared to mountains and rivers and big green TREES on the side of the highway.

I plan on checking out Suncrest and WVUPharm gave excellent info in the "Family Neighborhoods" thread.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChevalierNoir View Post
Wow! This is probably it! My wife and I have talked a lot about a place we want to call "home" for our family...somewhere beautiful with friendly people. Here in rural KS, we used to wave when driving by and somehow, it got lost as the town got bigger.
I don't mind driving as long as the scenery is beautiful. The closest international airport is 3 hrs away (where we have to fly out of tomorrow) and it's one of the most boring drives you'd ever have to take....granted the plains are beautiful and the rolling hills are a sight to see, it's nothing compared to mountains and rivers and big green TREES on the side of the highway.

I plan on checking out Suncrest and WVUPharm gave excellent info in the "Family Neighborhoods" thread.
In WV, especially the more south you get, you will get a lot of waitress, etc. calling you names like hon, etc. While the people in MoTown are nice, remember that they have more of a northern influence than southern WV and there are a lot of people from all over the world living and going to school in MoTown.

Biggest thing to remember about the friendliness of WV - you get what you give. You may not find that everyone is the first to smile at you, talk to you, etc. but if you smile or talk to them, you will get it back.

I have been in states where I have started talking to the stranger beside me and they just look at me like I have 2 heads. Here they smile and converse right back.

Also avoid the dreaded "back home we did it this way" and do not criticize our way of doing things, etc. There is normally a reason something has evolved the way it has.

Was talking to a builder from Ohio working in WV, he commented on how behind the times we were with some things such as poured block (right term?) - he couldn't find companies who do it. The attitude he conveyed was criticism for our old-fashioned ways. Then talked to an architect about the matter - he said in Ohio they use the more advanced tech but the end result is that the workers do not become as skilled. Here in WV, our guys are not adapt at the new tech but we have more and better skilled workers. So, which is right and which is wrong? Should we be criticized? (Since I'm not a builder I have probably botched the explaination.)

Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 AM

The powers that be put out this promo video of MoTown. It also shows "nature" places in areas a couple hours from MoTown.
Pikewood Creative (http://www.pikewoodcreative.com/Showcase/Morgantown/index.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown