Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 18,421 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody,

I am moving to Morgantown as a grad student in August. I m trying to find some apartments for last one and half month, no luck yet. Is downtown a good option for grad student to live in? Any suggestions. I will gladly accept it. Looking forward for the advices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:27 PM

671 posts, read 1,054,650 times
South Park -- adjacent to downtown, sections of families and sections of students

To me, it's the best neighborhood in the city, especially when you're utilizing the downtown campus.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:42 PM

938 posts, read 2,892,394 times
Depends on what you want. Evansdale is a lot calmer than Downtown for older students. But living around downtown is more of a college "experience". For the love of God, just stay away from Sunnyside.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:26 PM

42 posts, read 141,561 times
We live on Stewartstown rd and there are a few apartment complexes in the area- e.d. Bon Vista/ the Villas and West Run. There is a bus that runs to campus from the apartments in the area.

Might it worth checking it out.

Last edited by antiguanmom; 06-21-2009 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-22-2009, 12:27 PM

120 posts, read 401,173 times
I'd definitely look to see where your classes will be housed. There are two campuses at WVU, the downtown campus and Evansdale. A majority of the graduate programs are housed on the Evansdale campus. With traffic, trying to get to Evansdale from downtown can be extremely frustrating (even with the PRT). If your classes are going to be located on the downtown campus, living nearby shouldn’t be an issue. As has been suggested, South Park is a nice neighborhood (expect very large, old, Victorian houses split into apartments) within walking distance to downtown. There are a few apartments available in “high rise” buildings surrounding the popular downtown streets (High, Spruce, etc.). For the most part, these apartments are well-equipped (the interior is nice, but the exterior leaves a lot to be desired), but expect a fair amount of noise pollution and lots of stairs. There are some very new apartment buildings being constructed along the riverfront, but they are quite expensive—As with anything, you get what you pay for. As someone else warned, I would avoid Sunnyside (which is located in between the two campuses). This area is reserved for the true undergraduate partygoers and “slumlords.” Apparently, there is an effort to revitalize Sunnyside, but I am not holding my breath. If you find that your classes are indeed on the Evansdale campus, you have several more living options (Suncrest, Chestnut Ridge, etc.). There have been some other posts about these areas, but if you desire more information about a specific area, feel free to ask. Good luck and enjoy your experience in Morgantown and at WVU!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:34 PM

671 posts, read 1,054,650 times
Urban renewal is the only hope at Sunnyside's revitalization. So we either put up with small, dilapidated houses, or clean, overbearing apartment complexes.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:58 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,291,369 times
You do not say if you are single or otherwise...I would take a long sunday walk through South Park and see what shook loose. A widow or other might have a basement room or apartment to rent to someone on the 'Upper Cusp...if you know what I mean...

I had a friend who did just that in Frederick, Md and found just the place for $300 per month...was directly across the street from his first teaching job...

Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM

Thank You all for your replies. I will be living with my boyfriend. I am a Poli Sci Major and he is a Physics major. I believe both the departments are located in downtown campus, so I assume our classes to be in downtown, I guess you guys have more knowledge than I do regrading the subject. I am open to any information. We both have have grad assistantship, so I assume more than me, since my boyfriend is a research assistant, he would have to spend more time in department lab. I am really looking for convenience more than anything when it comes to housing. I will be looking forward for more information, Thank You again....

Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Default Need more info...

Hey everybody,

I have been checking the thread everyday and haven't seen much... I need more info on South park like how far is it from downtown college to walk to? How far are the food stores and supermarket like Walmart and all? I will also take suggestion on apartments that are conveniently around downtown campus that are good options for Grad student.. I called couple of places and most of them don't have any 1 bedroom available.... I am having a hard luck finding a nice place to live in Morgantown... I am open to any suggestions ... I will be looking forward for your advices and suggestions

Thanks

Old 06-26-2009, 07:45 PM

938 posts, read 2,892,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU4GRAD View Post
Hey everybody,

I have been checking the thread everyday and haven't seen much... I need more info on South park like how far is it from downtown college to walk to? How far are the food stores and supermarket like Walmart and all? I will also take suggestion on apartments that are conveniently around downtown campus that are good options for Grad student.. I called couple of places and most of them don't have any 1 bedroom available.... I am having a hard luck finding a nice place to live in Morgantown... I am open to any suggestions ... I will be looking forward for your advices and suggestions

Thanks
South Park is actually a decent hike, IMO.

Prete has some nice 1-bedrooms available. Call them. They owned my favorite living space off all of them I had in Morgantown was next door to the Habachi in Suncrest. The best location I could imagine. Honestly, to me...all of the nice housing is in Evansdale...closer to grocery stores and shopping, too. What a lot of smart kids do is live in Evansdale near the PRT station, then just ride it downtown every day. There is NO student housing near Walmart...noth MoTown Walmarts are on the outskirts of town...one in the North, one in the South. But driving to them off rush hour isn't a big deal at all.

And Chestnut Hill...I'm telling ya, check it out. It's right there next to the stadium and PRT...and they have a "quiet" building for older folks. I had a friend while in pharmacy school that lived there in a 1-bedroom. It really seemed nice and pretty dang quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown