Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 08:29 AM

4 posts, read 16,127 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

My wife and I are planning a move to the Morgantown area and opening a family entertainment center (bounce houses, indoor playground, small arcade, family oriented, i.e. Monkey Joes.com franchise) targeting kids 1-15 years old. Does anybody have any friendly advise (pro and con) to this type of business in that area?

We are considering leaving our careers and hot, humid Central Florida and move back to where my wife went to high school and college. It would be a life-changing move and we'd have a difficult time returning to our careers if the WV business was a failure. We couldn't think of a better place to live (we visit from time to time).

Thank you in advance for ANY help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:39 PM

39 posts, read 121,257 times
Default Great idea

I don't really have much advice but I'm curious if you've checked out locations yet? We visit Morgantown a couple of times a year to visit family. The hot spot seems to be the shopping and restaurant area on the hill off the Coliseum exit on 79. Maybe a local can help out here- I don't know what it's called. There's a new cinema, Target, Barnes and Noble, lots of restaurants. Seems a Monkey Joes (is it that franchise or something similar?) would do well there. We go to Monkey Joes here in NC and my kids love it. Also, that location is easy to get to from points north and south of Morgantown as a destination for shopping and dining. Good luck to you!

Old 07-25-2009, 02:06 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
I would suggest the Morgantown Mall and here's the reason..they have space. They have the bigger anchor stores and some nice restaurants. A better drop off place for the kids. I think you could negotiate a little with them as they had some stores pull out recently and want to fill those spaces.

(The newest mall at the Star city Exit is a strip mall and is windy and very cold in the winter time. It is a shop and go type mall with the restaurants below servicing the sports crowd more than anything. and I'm not downgrading it in any way, but the other, older mall would seem to serve your needs better.)

Morgantown's economy is slowed down a little now but still very strong.
Those few empty spaces at Morgantown Mall will fill.
When you see it you will see that it is more family oriented than any other big box area.
A few motels are located at that exit too. good luck, nice to have you aboard.

It should be a great venture...we will give it our business...we have some jumping grand-children.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:31 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,394 times
I agree with both of the above suggestions. Don't let anybody sucker you into the Mountaineer Mall. You'll be back in FL before you know it.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:43 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
We have 4 malls, the Morgantown Mall was the first and has been by-passed with the traffic. In it's day it was a very big deal.

You mentioned an arcade...a wonderful cash cow that needs to be milked. Check out the size, floor traffic and machines at the Meadowbrook Mall in Bridgeport. A magnet for those kids and they bring the money...
Don't see one in Morgantown at all for them..

This project could also work pretty well at Glen-mark Center as it is almost rural and surrounded by thousands of homes...

Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 16,127 times
Thank you for all the suggestions! This definitely helps. My wife spent 1986-93 there in Morgantown and we visit every once in awhile. She's familiar with the area. We were there July 4th of this year and got reacquainted with the changes. If anybody else has info, please post!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,773 times
I have a 9 yr old boy and we are constantly saying "I wish there was something to do around here". We go to Mountaineer sports events, The Wow Factory (pottery place), but as far as a place for kids to just go and play there is not much around here. We go to Fairmont to Valley Worlds of Fun - a similar place to what you are proposing, but I just don't like to travel so far all the time. I'm sure there are many other parents who feel the same way. I would welcome you and your business with open arms.

As far as location - I say "if you give people what they want, they will come to you". My church moved from in town out to Cheat Lake. At first they were worried that they would lose a lot of the congregation because of the distance. However, our congregation grew from around 600 to close to 2500 in about a year and a half. I wish you the best of luck and say "worry more about the WHAT, rather than the WHERE". Good luck and God bless.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
I think this is a great idea, but like Kennedy says
you want to choose your location carefully. There
is a definite need for this kind of thing in Morgantown,
and the area's strong economy has barely flinched
in spite of the troubles nationally. The timing is good
in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown