Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:14 PM

50 posts, read 201,456 times

Advertisements

Are people in Morgantown willing to accept new people to the area into their circle of friends? I am leaving another area of West Virginia that has been horribly difficult to make friends. We've been here 8 years and the only friends we made was another family of "outsiders". Lived in 3 other states and never had this kind of problem before. I'm hoping to have a social life again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 06:32 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,978,412 times
Morgantown is a true college town. As such, there is a constant
influx of new people. There is also a sort of townie group that has
had roots in the town since forever. It is easy to make friends
in Morgantown, but like any place else you need to take action to
make that happen.

Find groups of people that share your interests and activities and
associate with them. Take an active interest in events. Join clubs
and/or get involved with a religious group. You will have a circle of
friends before you know it.

If you just sit around and wait for friends to magically appear, like
any place else that isn't likely to happen. Your neighbors will likely
be very friendly, but might have their own interests and activities.
Use opportunities to develop your circle of friends, and they are
plentiful in a town like Morgantown.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:09 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,273,848 times
Come by the office Coco and I'll tell you what your doing wrong....lol

REALLY DON'T BELIEVE THIS ONE.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 PM

50 posts, read 201,456 times
David Kennedy, - Old money in this town I live in. If you don't have it, or you have no family history here...you are @$%W out of luck. You don't believe it, cause you haven't lived it. I'm hoping Morgantown will be similar to Athens Ohio where I lived for several years. Loved it there! Very friendly atmosphere, neighbors very friendly. Made great lifelong friends there! Not so in this place. So.....hoping Morgantown will be better.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 PM

42 posts, read 141,419 times
I left Morgantown a couple months ago and we loved it there. People were very friendly. To help things along you could always join a social group. I really hated having to leave. Interesting.... I also lived in Athens, Ohio.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:28 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,273,848 times
ha ha ha...

My family came to the Morgantown area in 1788...as for the old money people, there are about 2 (total) of them that are worth a hoot.

Don't get me started. I also do not want to 'live it.

The friends I have made run a huge and long spectrum and I continue to make them as often as I can....I want to do that.

There are also some who are not worth being friends with...I'm waiting for them to be taken to jail.

Have you worked some of the foundations/ charities who raise money for the hospitals?
That is a pretty good way to get in with the 'in crowd...if that is what you need for fullfilment.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:08 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,772,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco2 View Post
Are people in Morgantown willing to accept new people to the area into their circle of friends? I am leaving another area of West Virginia that has been horribly difficult to make friends. We've been here 8 years and the only friends we made was another family of "outsiders". Lived in 3 other states and never had this kind of problem before. I'm hoping to have a social life again!
I was born in the northern panhandle and I still have this problem in WV...WV is an extremely clicky state it's like one huge goold old boy get together. Every restaurant, club or other social setting is like something straight out that old show Cheers. I get wierd looks from people within my own city if I'm walking down the street in one of the sections of the city I don't live. Between this, the lack of single women over 24 without children, and the jobs issue, it's probably my top 3 complaints about the state. Morgantown should be better than most parts of the state since there are people from all over the country going to school there. People say WV is full of friendly people I actually think I find friendlier people in bigger cities and bigger areas like Pittsburgh. A lot of people in WV are sort of close minded and if you don't look a certain way they consider you an outsider.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 02-13-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 11:26 AM

307 posts, read 690,033 times

Old 02-13-2010, 11:29 AM

10,147 posts, read 14,978,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I was born in the northern panhandle and I still have this problem in WV...WV is an extremely clicky state it's like one huge goold old boy get together. Every restaurant, club or other social setting is like something straight out that old show Cheers. I get wierd looks from people within my own city if I'm walking down the street in one of the sections of the city I don't live. Between this, the lack of single women over 24 without children, and the jobs issue, it's probably my top 3 complaints about the state. Morgantown should be better than most parts of the state since there are people from all over the country going to school there. People say WV is full of friendly people I actually think I find friendlier people in bigger cities and bigger areas like Pittsburgh. A lot of people in WV are sort of close minded and if you don't look a certain way they consider you an outsider.
I grew up in Wheeling and spent most of my life in that area. Your analysis is correct for the old industrial towns, but that is not the case in Morgantown. True college towns really are different that way. There are cliques to be sure, but there are enough transplants and itinerants there to create a mix where it is easy to make friends. Even the old industrial towns that have fairly large college populations like Huntington will give you that opportunity. The presence of a good sized institution makes a real difference that way. Wheeling Jesuit/West Liberty/Bethany just aren't large enough to do that.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:59 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,772,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I grew up in Wheeling and spent most of my life in that area. Your analysis is correct for the old industrial towns, but that is not the case in Morgantown. True college towns really are different that way. There are cliques to be sure, but there are enough transplants and itinerants there to create a mix where it is easy to make friends. Even the old industrial towns that have fairly large college populations like Huntington will give you that opportunity. The presence of a good sized institution makes a real difference that way. Wheeling Jesuit/West Liberty/Bethany just aren't large enough to do that.
Yeah you're right Wheeling is definitely one of the areas I was eluding to (clicky, old money, good old boy feel) but you're also right in that Morgantown is different. I've been there plenty of times and I get a different vibe there than most of the state it seems like a pretty good area to live and do things in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown