Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 05:45 PM

61 posts, read 238,929 times

Advertisements

Would opening a checking account a couple of weeks before mortgage application affect your loan application in any way? The checking will be used to transfer fund from savings account for down payment. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM

768 posts, read 4,335,687 times
Nope, worst case you may have to write a letter of explanation on why it was just opened and you'd need statements to show the money being transferred, but that should be it.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:14 AM

247 posts, read 1,139,487 times
We opened 3 checking accts, and one savings acct in the month before we applied for our mortgage. I kept the money for our down payment in the old one, and just started using the new ones for day to day stuff, and bills. No problems at all. Some banks do run a credit check when you open the acct, so not sure how that would play in.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:05 AM

322 posts, read 546,286 times
from an underwriting perspective it doesn't effect your score or status. as stated previously you may have to provide an explanation so you may be adding time to the process. by the way, you don't need a checking account to transfer funds to if that's the only purpose, you can execute transactions directly from a saving account. that includes certified checks, wire transfers, etc..

Old 06-17-2010, 03:42 PM

61 posts, read 238,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
from an underwriting perspective it doesn't effect your score or status. as stated previously you may have to provide an explanation so you may be adding time to the process. by the way, you don't need a checking account to transfer funds to if that's the only purpose, you can execute transactions directly from a saving account. that includes certified checks, wire transfers, etc..
Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer my question. I did ask my online bank. It is an online only account. The bank does not wire funds to settlement company on the behalf of account holders. I thought for funds more than certain amount, you have to wire the fund. Is that not true? Then what is the best way to transfer large fund to settlement company? Thanks again.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:07 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,164,534 times
I really doubt that who ever answered your question was correct-- all banks participate in electronic transfers, especially on-line banks.

Paper check are generally cause grief for all...

Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,043,874 times
I just got a certified check and the money was removed directly from my savings account. Why not just do that? The check is what is brought to closing.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 AM

322 posts, read 546,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker123 View Post
Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer my question. I did ask my online bank. It is an online only account. The bank does not wire funds to settlement company on the behalf of account holders. I thought for funds more than certain amount, you have to wire the fund. Is that not true? Then what is the best way to transfer large fund to settlement company? Thanks again.
Most, if not all, settlement companies will require that you use certified funds for closing. Traditionally that's done through the buyer (you) purchasing a certified check from your financial institution. Some progressive settlement companies will accept wire transfers, but there are still a lot of traditionalists out there.

I understand that the online bank is your primary bank, is it your only one though? That's the unfortunate downside to internet banks as a whole, you can't walk into a branch office on your day of closing when your HUD-1a comes in at zero hour (which all of the LO's on this board will tell you happens more often than not) and purchase a certified check. So my suggestion would be to ACH transfer the money to your other bank (if you have one) and buy the cashier's check there. If not, talk to your online bank about options.

If you have time, and forgive me if I missed this detail, I would establish a relationship with a bank that has physical locations. Internet based banks have very clever commercials, and great CD rates, but this is a good example of the drawbacks. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages