Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:53 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I used to be solidly in the "pay down your mortgage" camp. Lately, however, after actually crunching some numbers figuring in inflation and opportunity cost, I am leaning more away from tying up money by paying down the mortgage early. After all, if your mortgage payment (P&I) is $1000, in 20 years, it will still be $1000, but $1000 will buy half what it does today in the market, so the money is worth more to you today. Theoretically, your P&I will become a smaller and smaller percentage of your income, even if your income only increases to match inflation.

Therefore, on mortgages with interest rates that low, it is probably smarter to invest the money elsewhere. You already have awesome saving habits, congratulations on that.
I'm in a similar situation, however this calculation is easy. If you can make more than "4%" investing your money on your own, then by definition you are better off investing it than paying down your mortgage. However, this does not factor in time value of money. What is the value of "financial independence" of knowing you no longer have a mortgage payment? Got me. I'm sure its worth something feeling wise.

Actually it is thanks to the stock market that I'm sitting on enough money to pay off my mortgage at this time, but I don't think it makes financial sense to do so. As you said, the payment is $1000 today, and its the same $1000 in 5 years from now. But the $1000 5 years from now probably has the buying power of $900. If I'm to get the full value of my $ I need to spend it somewhere today for future appreciation.

Sure, CD rates/bonds are lousy (lol 2.9% on 10 year) but why tie up all your cash by paying things off? The real estate market has to bounce at sometime (history always repeats, right) so it seems like the smart thing to do is be nimble and pick up some real estate if you can pick it up at the right place. What is the right price? Yes, that's the question to ponder. When everyone says sell or everyone says RE is crap, that is when I'm looking to buy. We're headed there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 06:59 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Cash is king.
This is another reason I don't want to use my cash to pay off my house.

Yes, now I have a ton of equity, but I get to fight my bank to get to it, most likely.

If a deal comes along, you need to be ready.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:13 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,441 times
Open another account and the extra money that would go towards your mortgage put it into that account. When you hit your mortgage payoff amount, THEN pay off the house. (As long as you still have your 18 month emergency fund). Why give the extra money to the bank for no reason and have it tied up with them. If something tragic happens, you can't get that money from the bank, it's gone. Unless you sell. Keep those extra payment on your own that way if you need it, it's accessible.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:36 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Open another account and the extra money that would go towards your mortgage put it into that account. When you hit your mortgage payoff amount, THEN pay off the house. (As long as you still have your 18 month emergency fund). Why give the extra money to the bank for no reason and have it tied up with them. If something tragic happens, you can't get that money from the bank, it's gone. Unless you sell. Keep those extra payment on your own that way if you need it, it's accessible.
Mortgage interest rate 4+%
Savings account rate 1+%
Loss of 3%

Old 07-04-2010, 11:27 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,226 times
I would pay off the mortgage. Others have said that you can get better interest by investing, but they are not taking into account the risk of having a mortgage. If something were to happen and you default then you would lose the home and your entire investment. Making a few extra percent in interest with an investment is not worth the risk of losing a home. How much faith do you have in investing in todays market anyhow?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:36 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Savings account rate 1+%
Loss of 3%
Actually no, compounding interest grows faster than an amortized loan pays down.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:51 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Not enough for me.

Everyone's 'security blanket' is different.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:09 PM

161 posts, read 109,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Savings account rate 1+%
Loss of 3%
I don't have any investments paying that little. Even my checking account pays 4.51%. There are many very safe investments which pay dividends in the 4 to 8 percent range. I am banking on rates going up in the next few years, while my mortgage interest will be fixed and low.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-elect Nobody View Post
I don't have any investments paying that little. Even my checking account pays 4.51%. There are many very safe investments which pay dividends in the 4 to 8 percent range. I am banking on rates going up in the next few years, while my mortgage interest will be fixed and low.
Well, a high interest checking account is good, i have one also, but how much are you actually saving when you have to spend ten times a month.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:10 PM

161 posts, read 109,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Well, a high interest checking account is good, i have one also, but how much are you actually saving when you have to spend ten times a month.
You mean the minimum 10 debits per month? I would be buying small ticket items anyway, so what difference does it make which account I take it from?

Did I misunderstand the question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages