Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 10,745 times

Advertisements

Primary mortgage is 31,000.00. second mortgage is 110,000.00.
Can I file bankruptcy on my second mortgage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM

515 posts, read 1,343,663 times
You can't pick and choose what debts are included in a bankruptcy filing. When you file bankruptcy, you're filing bankruptcy on all of your debt. During a bankruptcy filing state law only allows protection up to $137,000 of equity on a homestead property unless you've been there 40 months. Also, any liens on the property still have to be fulfilled. It's not like you can declare bankruptcy and then stay in your house for free because the mortgage gets wiped away. Since it is secured property, you will have the choice of either continuing to pay what you owe or surrendering the property to the lienholder(s).

Attempting to work with your mortgage holder to try to rewrite the terms of the mortgage would be a better choice, as bankruptcy could end up causing you a lot more problems when all your other nonexempt assets are liquidated. If you choose to stop paying your second mortgage, they still have the right to foreclose on your home just like if it was all one mortgage.

Last edited by Occifer; 06-14-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 10,745 times
Thank You for your response.
Please let me clarify.
I have been here for 20 years.
I only owe 31000.00 on first mortgage.
I have paid down my second mortgage to 110000.00.
I can't afford to pay payments on second mortgage.
I owe a total of 141000.00 for both. are you still saying that i can't bankrupt the second mortgage and just make payments for the first?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:53 PM

30,244 posts, read 20,993,644 times
Never heard of doing that with a mortgage,

Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 PM

515 posts, read 1,343,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardrwilson View Post
I owe a total of 141000.00 for both. are you still saying that i can't bankrupt the second mortgage and just make payments for the first?
That's exactly what I'm saying. You can't "bankrupt" a loan. You can only declare bankruptcy as an individual, which in Florida is under either Chapter 7 or Chapter 13. Chapter 7 is liquidation of assets to pay creditors while Chapter 13 is reorganization of debt (but the debtors aren't going to get less than they would have gotten had you liquidated under Chapter 7). The common denominator with any type of bankruptcy filing is that ALL of your debts and assets are identified and are a part of the bankruptcy proceeding. The notion that you can pick and choose which loans to declare bankruptcy on is, quite honestly, just laughable.

If you have been in the home as long as you say you have and built up equity, your first option should be attempting to combine both loans into a single mortgage with a payment you can afford. That may mean taking out a new 30 (or even 40) year mortgage, however it's what you have to do if you do not want to lose the house and cannot pay your current loans.

If you can't or won't do that and also cannot afford to pay what you currently owe, you simply will lose the house if you can't find a way to supplement your income. In addition, having such a large second mortgage and a small primary mortgage means that you took cash out of your home for whatever reason. If you did that in order to make big ticket purchases like cars, boats, or other real estate, understand that the company has the right to go after those as well and most likely will.

This could be a very ugly situation for you, and the best way of dealing with it is simply going to be to try to find a way to pay what you owe. There is no easy way out that is going to let you just walk away from the second mortgage and keep everything you currently own. It just doesn't work that way. None of these people who default on their mortgages get to keep their house, so why would you? Do you think the fact that it's a second mortgage makes things any different? It doesn't. It's still a lien on your property that must be fulfilled one way or another. It's not going away as long as you own that house. You can always contact an attorney who specializes in bankruptcies and completely lay out your financial situation out for him. It will cost you some money, but you're going to share more information with him and get better answers than you're going to find on the internet.

Last edited by Occifer; 06-14-2010 at 10:52 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 08:09 AM

62 posts, read 193,891 times
Partially bankrupt, is that like sort of pregnant?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,599,387 times
I guess the OP is doing some creative thinking in his best interest while having used all the cash and now trying to bail out on everybody...just like Obama is teaching many people "spread the wealth around" as long as it isn't yours!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 10,408 times
I have a chapter 13 can i still tried to get a loan modification, my interst are going up soon.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:59 PM

615 posts, read 1,672,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardrwilson View Post
Primary mortgage is 31,000.00. second mortgage is 110,000.00.
Can I file bankruptcy on my second mortgage?

^^^When you declare bankruptcy it is against ALL your debts. Not the ones that you cannot pay. If that were the case;

Google "Bankruptcy in the state of Florida" and find a lawyer (get a consultation) that can shed some light on this topic.

Good luck!!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:23 PM

48 posts, read 159,746 times
Why declare bankruptcy at all? Refinance both loans into one and pay your debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages