Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM

50 posts, read 159,525 times

Advertisements

I have been in my home for 2.5 years and have done double payments since month one. However recently I've heard that this could actually not be the smartest thing to do. I personally don't understand how its bad to pay off a mortgage early. Is it just because I can't get a write off after its paid off ? Why or how would it be a bad thing to do? I prefer to have it paid off before I turn 35(A goal of mine) and plus I hate paying interest on anything. I personally think I'm doing the right thing. Could someone shed some light on the subject, anything big I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 04:53 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,755 times
I'm not sure how everyone else is going to chime in, but when a majority of your mortgage payment is going to interest (for the first few years), each and every single time you make a payment, it would be stupid NOT to pay it off early. Go buy yourself another house with the interest you'll be saving!

My current mortgage payment is $540, and only $80 of it goes to principal. It eats up my insides to look at my statements!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
You save more money if you pay it off early... I am doing the same thing, double payments (by making a regular payment every 2 weeks)... I think I will save over $100k in interest alone and reduce the term from 30 years to like half that... However, I may cut back a little, the Hyundai Equus is too tempting...

Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citron View Post
I have been in my home for 2.5 years and have done double payments since month one. However recently I've heard that this could actually not be the smartest thing to do. I personally don't understand how its bad to pay off a mortgage early. Is it just because I can't get a write off after its paid off ? Why or how would it be a bad thing to do? I prefer to have it paid off before I turn 35(A goal of mine) and plus I hate paying interest on anything. I personally think I'm doing the right thing. Could someone shed some light on the subject, anything big I'm missing?
Generally, I think it's good to get rid of debt at the earliest reasonable date. But it's really a question of balance.

Do you have enough liquid cash available for an emergency? If not, then you shouldn't be putting so much extra into an illiquid asset.

There's also the question of alternate uses for the money. At your age, you can afford to think long-term about your investments, so even though returns are pretty bad right now, it could be foolish to eschew other investing to over-accelerate your mortgage repayment if you can reasonably expect to get higher long-term returns from making other investments.

OTOH, once you get the loan paid off early, you'll have a ton of extra money to invest that would have otherwise gone into a house payment. And doing what you're doing will save a ton of interest, though that is offset by the lack of investment income/appreciation from investments you're not making because of your extra mortgage payments.

I wouldn't worry about the tax write-off. Do you really want to pay $10 in interest, just so you can get $3 back from the government? I don't think it ever pays to have a higher loan than necessary just to get the tax writeoff.

It sounds as if you're in a strong position. I'm very happy for you. The important thing, IMO is that you're saving money. The best mix of debt reduction/additional investment is up to you, but it's a lot better than borrowing more and not saving.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You save more money if you pay it off early... I am doing the same thing, double payments (by making a regular payment every 2 weeks)... I think I will save over $100k in interest alone and reduce the term from 30 years to like half that... However, I may cut back a little, the Hyundai Equus is too tempting...

Haha, Same here! I've been craving a new car too for about a year and that's one reason I dump my money into untouchable CD's and into the house. I'm going to drive my car until it gives up. It's almost 10 years old , runs great and its even still shiny. Plus the gas mileage I get is hard to give up at about 32-35mpg. (Ford focus)

Old 08-04-2010, 05:09 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,028 times
I think you are doing the right thing. I'm a Dave Ramsey follower and his arguments for paying off a mortgage quickly make sense. If you paid the mortgage on schedule, you'll likely pay the principal twice over. Also, when you receive your tax deduction it isn't a dollar for dollar deduction as compared to the interest you pay. So you are paying many thousands of dollars to the bank so you can reduce your takes by a little bit.

Here is Dave's site on it which gives concrete numbers:
Two Costly Tax Deduction Mistakes - Taxes - daveramsey.com

Old 08-04-2010, 05:10 PM

"I wouldn't worry about the tax write-off. Do you really want to pay $10 in interest, just so you can get $3 back from the government? I don't think it ever pays to have a higher loan than necessary just to get the tax writeoff."

This is exactly what I brought up when I was told it was bad to pay off my mortgage early. Like you wrote - Why would I want $3 back when I can save triple that after its all said and done. I just kept on being told to use the money on other things and enjoy getting money back from the government for the interest I pay. This coming from the couple who bought a house that they could barely afford on two incomes....

Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM

106,620 posts, read 108,757,383 times
its amazing how folks dont realize that tax deduction isnt a bonus. they are paying in maybe 4 extra dollars above the price of the house to get 1 dollar back.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,046 times
You are doing the right thing. Stick to your goal and have a mortgage burning party for your 35th birthday. Now that is worth celebrating.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:25 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citron View Post
"I wouldn't worry about the tax write-off. Do you really want to pay $10 in interest, just so you can get $3 back from the government? I don't think it ever pays to have a higher loan than necessary just to get the tax writeoff."

This is exactly what I brought up when I was told it was bad to pay off my mortgage early. Like you wrote - Why would I want $3 back when I can save triple that after its all said and done. I just kept on being told to use the money on other things and enjoy getting money back from the government for the interest I pay. This coming from the couple who bought a house that they could barely afford on two incomes....
People come up with the most ridiculous justifications to do what they want to do. I've actually had people tell me I need a more expensive house so I can get a bigger tax deduction. That type of thinking is just twisted, especially considering that I don't even get the full benefit of my deductions because (a) they're limited due to my income; and (b) some years, I fall into alt min tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages