Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 01:02 PM

5 posts, read 13,853 times

Advertisements

I am at roughly 125% ltv (a little lower) and wondering, is there ANYTHING that can be done for those of us who’s loans are not owned by freddie or fannie? I am pulling my hair out about what to do with this 1 bedroom condo i bought at the worst possible time… I was single back then so this was enough, but now I have a baby, wife, and dog, and it is just WAY too small… I would love to be able to sell it, but being upsidedown by so much, it seems that’s just not possible.

At the time I bought, I also did not have great credit, so my rate is 7.625, so I feel like I'm paying way more a month (30 yr fixed, 1800 a month for a 234k home, no PMI) than I could be with my current credit situation.

My current income is about double what it was when I bought the home, and my credit is far better (low 700's). I have no trouble affording the current mortage, so I don't qualify for any loan modification programs or anything like that. My main goal here is just to find a way to make the monthly payment more affordable so I can free up some cash to either rent a larger place for my family, or (if possible?) sell at a loss and take a loan to cover the difference myself- and then buy/rent a larger place. With what I currently pay per month, even for what I could get if I rented the place out, I'd still be paying enough per month that it really limits our options on what we can afford in a new apartment or home...

ultimately getting out from under this condo would be my favorite option if it was possible, but if not I'm just looking for SOME way to cut this monthly payment down... becu was willing to offer me a refi, but with PMI it would have cost me about $7k to save about $100 a month..no thanks

any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 17,918 times
Having a Freddie Mac 125% refinance loan you can not have PMI. So wanting a 125% loan is out no matter what.

You could be dishonest and quit paying your mortgage for about 3 months, that is what my neighbor did that is a Physician's Assistant!! He was trying to convince me to do that. I am don't believe in being dishonest.

I just want to know why a person with a high credit rating (mine is 776) and pays taxes, works and is honest is penalized by gov't programs??

One place you can try is Quicken Loans, they can give you an answer in about an hour. [url]https://www.quickenloans.com[/url]

Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 17,918 times
Another option is to sell your house, take a loss on it and then buy a cheap foreclosure (which you can add on what you lost on the original house to the new house's mortgage). You will then break even.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 AM

139 posts, read 831,970 times
125 ltv loan is nearly impossible to do in any circumstance. I know that our awesome federal government came to the rescue to say that they'd offer these... but they simply aren't enough lenders out there willing to do them.

There is something called "hard money." But you wont get a better rate than what you are getting now.

If you can afford your payments, you should just keep paying. You said you didnt have PMI, right? Sounds like a great loan to me. Sure - your interest rate sucks.. but lets say you had a SWEET appraisal and got it to 105%, they're going to make you pay PMI.. so that is going to add $200 a month to your refinanced loan if you were able to get it.. so it may not be the best deal anyone (when you consider you'd be paying about $4-6k in fees).

Old 10-02-2010, 05:37 AM

835 posts, read 3,978,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasr View Post
Another option is to sell your house, take a loss on it and then buy a cheap foreclosure (which you can add on what you lost on the original house to the new house's mortgage). You will then break even.

Selling a home and buying a home are 2 seperate stand alone transactions even if they take place back to back at the same table. You can't roll the loss of 1 into the other- there is no lender that would approve this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages