Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:31 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times

Advertisements

My daughter has horrible credit rating. She's never taken care of it and it will haunt her for years. She's been working on it, but has a long row to hoe.

She's getting married next year and I've advised her boyfriend to make his home purchase BEFORE they get hitched. I'm convinced it will be better for him if her bad rating credit doesn't bring the process down. Then they can marry later in the year.

Anyone agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 06:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
On both my house purchases I was the only one on my mortage since my wife had worse credit than me. So they didn't even check her credit.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,150 times
That makes sense to me. I purchased alone. The only issue I see is potentially they could get more of a house if they put there income together but then again I guess they would need to run her credit. The wife could possibly say she contributes X amount of money to the household monthly or is that not possible? Is it necessary just because you are married to purchase together?

Old 11-20-2010, 09:50 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
There has been so many changes in mortgages that the best thing to do is ask a mortgage broker. Don't ask a bank like BofA or Wells Fargo. Ask a broker who uses many sources of loans and can tell you who is less invasive in getting information. They may be able to get a mortgage on his credit only, maybe she can contrivute or her credit may or may not affect the purchase. A broker can tell you the current atmosphere in home loans.The economic recession(fancy words for depression) and home foreclosure fiasco has created a new monster. What we did in the past no longer counts.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:28 AM

835 posts, read 3,978,206 times
1 person can be on the loan when married. The other spouse will be on title as co-owner here in NC. Your daughters credit score being a factor on when to buy is a non factor. Just to be clear if you don't use her credit history you can't use her income- I say it because I've been asked this in the past.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
If they want an FHA loan, the wife's credit will be looked at. They don't necessarily check it for her credit score, but all her debts will count against the debt to income ratios, without her income because considered. When married, her debt becomes his debt, so it can very much effect the purchase approval level.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:40 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Default Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If they want an FHA loan, the wife's credit will be looked at. They don't necessarily check it for her credit score, but all her debts will count against the debt to income ratios, without her income because considered. When married, her debt becomes his debt, so it can very much effect the purchase approval level.
The only time a spouse's credit and or debts are checked are in community property states - period. Anyone outside of a community property state can buy a property as their sole and equitable estate without regards to any of the spouse's credit or rating (unless it's a joint account with that spouse, and then, that account(s) would show up on the individual's credit). This is true of all loan types. Just because someone buys FHA, does not mean the spouse's debt will be used - only in community property states.

As for the OP, yes, it makes sense for your future son-in-law to buy now, while rates are low, and should you be in a community property state, your daughter's baggage will not be his. However, be aware, most likely it will be considered his property (and debt) before the marriage, and his to retain should the marriage ever break up.

Not an attorney, just sharing what I have seen in the origination of FHA mortgages and in divorce court.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:59 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
People he said before they get married. So why bring in the marriage rules when they're not married? He already explained it to his future son-in-law.

If the guy can get the loan on his income alone then do it before getting hitched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
That makes sense to me. I purchased alone. The only issue I see is potentially they could get more of a house if they put there income together but then again I guess they would need to run her credit. The wife could possibly say she contributes X amount of money to the household monthly or is that not possible? Is it necessary just because you are married to purchase together?

Bad advice and if your daughters boyfriend brings this up tell him that's a dumb idea.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
People he said before they get married. So why bring in the marriage rules when they're not married? He already explained it to his future son-in-law.

If the guy can get the loan on his income alone then do it before getting hitched.

Bad advice and if your daughters boyfriend brings this up tell him that's a dumb idea.
It's my opinion therefore it's NOT dumb. No one's opinion is dumb. Everyone is free to voice their opinion........And learn how to form a sentence together......."they get married".

Old 11-21-2010, 09:01 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Learn to form a sentence? Is that all you have is sentence structure? It's a forum not english class.

And yes some opinions are dumb and that was a dumb one. It's stupid to get a house using both incomes. If one of them loses their job, then they'll be up **** creek.

PS, How many periods do you need to use Ms. Hypocrite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages