Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 07:38 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa dave View Post
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Yes.

I had 21 years of grief from mortgage companies until I was able to buy a house for cash.

It didn't dawn on me just how incredibly incompetent mortgage people are until several years later when I decided to scan my financial records on to my computer.

I was cleaning out my filing cabinet and found folder after folder after folder, thick with correspondence and conversation notes about all the errors month after month.

Incredible.

I'll guarantee that you will have this kind of crap for as many years as you are saddled with a mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 09:48 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

I'll guarantee that you will have this kind of crap for as many years as you are saddled with a mortgage.
Huh? In 30+ years, I've purchased 4 homes and don3 several refi`s and HELOC's. I've only had two issues that required me to contact my mortgage company. And one was my fault.

And yes, I DO watch and keep track of these things. Career hazard - I'm an ex-auditor.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:56 AM

4,843 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Escrow shortage/recomputation was an annual event for me in Texas. I think one year the valuations actually stayed out, and it created an overage. Which they refunded... and then had to correct again the following year.

I feel sorry for folks that bought a house with the escrow funded based on the current year taxes... because they got a big escrow surprise the next year when the valuation increased 25 or 30%.

Old 07-25-2022, 04:38 PM

10 posts, read 7,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa dave View Post
Warning -
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this. Misery can use the company.
Thanks

I had a middle school teacher who used to tell us "We can only go as fast as the slowest person here". I remind myself this when that slowest person is holding the cards.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:15 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
The biggest issues for escrow increases are new construction. If the idiot lender continued to collect taxes as undeveloped land prior to the home being built, that homeowner is going to have a nasty surprise. I have new owners get mad at me because we have a default calculation that usually (not always) results in an overage and a refund at the end of the first year. But I've been on the receiving end of a $300 per month payment increase and it can devastate a young family's budget.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:15 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Yes.

I had 21 years of grief from mortgage companies until I was able to buy a house for cash.

It didn't dawn on me just how incredibly incompetent mortgage people are until several years later when I decided to scan my financial records on to my computer.

I was cleaning out my filing cabinet and found folder after folder after folder, thick with correspondence and conversation notes about all the errors month after month.

Incredible.

Pffft. I have had 5 different mortgages over the last 22 years snd have never had a single issue of any kind. I have never had to contact a single one of them.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:17 AM

And for anyone bitching about their escrow account, there is a VERY SIMPLE solution, pay your own damn taxes and insurance.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:55 AM

4,843 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
And for anyone bitching about their escrow account, there is a VERY SIMPLE solution, pay your own damn taxes and insurance.
Some lenders require escrow.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Some lenders require escrow.
I am a lender and I have never heard of any lenders that require escrowing except for govie loans (fha/va/usda) and some conventional loans with less than 20% down.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:41 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Pffft. I have had 5 different mortgages over the last 22 years snd have never had a single issue of any kind. I have never had to contact a single one of them.
Lucky you.

I'll nominate you for the Guiness Book of World Records.

Quote:
I am a lender and I have never heard of any lenders that require escrowing except for govie loans (fha/va/usda) and some conventional loans with less than 20% down.
Which means that you HAVE heard of millions of loans that DO require escrow of taxes and insurance.

smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages