Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,857 times

Advertisements

So, we got easy pre-approval based upon income for a new home but I have two mortgages on the home i am selling, neither HAMP and both lender initiated. No lates on main mortgage ever and a few on the small one (while mod process was going on and all over 12 months ago). show as non-hamp mods on credit report. The mod on the small one reduced my rate, the mod on the large one moved me from interest only to interest and principal so my payment has actually gone up.

As long as I sell the current house, does anyone know if the mods or old lates will prevent me from getting a new loan, specifically FHA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 PM

768 posts, read 4,341,674 times
As long as the payments were made on time and report that way, you should be OK for FHA.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 AM

well thats just it, main mortgage has no lates but small one has a few lates, all over 1 year old now

Old 03-08-2011, 11:12 AM

I read it incorrectly at first. How late did you go on the 2nd mortgage?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 AM

60 once, 30 once, both during mod proces as they advised me. like i said i am completely clean for the last 13 months on both and never reported late on first

Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 PM

I think you'd have a chance, but they may also require you wait 3 years from the loan mod. I don't have experience with this exact situation, but the reason you may have to wait 3 years is because if this was a short sale and you were late on the mortgage, then you'd need to wait 3 years since FHA considers it the same severity as a foreclosure. But it wasn't a short sale, it was a modification, so that is where there could be some leeway on that guideline.

http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudcl...es/09-52ml.pdf

Old 03-08-2011, 01:24 PM

thanks, it appears I am in the clear from reading through the PDF.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM

Reading through the .pdf yes... but reading between the lines of the .pdf, not so clear.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
There are HUD guidelines and then there are investor guidelines. You need a lender that "underwrites to the DU." "DU" stands for Desktop Underwriting, our automated approvals we obtain from an underwriting program. Lenders that underwrite to the DU, won't have any additional requirements. However, there are more lenders out there that have overlays, or additional requirements than what is in the HUD guidelines. And just because you get the DU approval, doesn't mean the underwriter is going to rubberstamp it.

You say 12 months ago. Does that mean exactly 12 months ago, 13 months, or 18 months? Are there lates anywhere else? Will your payment be increasing by a lot? (To the amount before modification?) Will you be pushing your ratios? How much cash will you have in the bank after closing? Work history strong......and so on, you get the idea. If the lates on the 2nd is the only issue, you have a better chance than if you have multiple issues.

Unfortunately, your pre-approval is worthless until an underwriter has reviewed your file and most lenders are not putting files before underwriters unless there is contract on a home. There are still lenders out there that will submit your credit file to an underwriter for a true pre-approval. I recommend you find one before you sell your home and wind up under contract on a home that you may not be able to obtain financing for. Unfortunately, the industry's high rate of declines reflect we have far too many loans getting put on the books that never should have gotten past the loan officer. (Many follow the logic, "throw enough against the wall, some will have to stick. Make sure that's not your loan officer's logic).

Our industry has returned to more gray tones than black and white. This is exactly why you want someone that has experience.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:33 AM

^ a few old late cc payments, payment going up 650/mo, income now 4x what it was and should have 2-2.5 years of expenses in bank after closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages