Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 03:41 PM

32 posts, read 56,959 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a home for $141,000. My current mid range credit score is 595. I am going with an FHA loan because I only have 3.5% to put down.

The rate my mortgage broker quoted me is an interest rate of 6% and on top of the truth-in-lending disclosure statement is lists the apr at 7.662%. What does that mean? Is that a pretty standard rate for someone in my circumstance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,137,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noellea View Post
I am looking to purchase a home for $141,000. My current mid range credit score is 595. I am going with an FHA loan because I only have 3.5% to put down.

The rate my mortgage broker quoted me is an interest rate of 6% and on top of the truth-in-lending disclosure statement is lists the apr at 7.662%. What does that mean? Is that a pretty standard rate for someone in my circumstance?
No idea. I am surprised you can get approved at all with that credit score. 6% is certainly higher that the market rate right now by at least 1%.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
At a certain point the "penalty" for having a bad credit score raises one's interest rate so much that it probably makes sense to reconsider purchasing.

In all seriousness the credit score tells lenders that you have had trouble with paying things off in the past, do really think it makes sense to pay such a high rate? I would rather see you rent and improve your credit score by becoming a better borrower over time than risk high interest and continued poor credit habits...

Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Renting in my city isn't any cheaper than purchasing a home. In most cases it can be more expensive to rent than to own. Yes my score isn't perfect thanks to some frivolous spending habits in college. I've paid off all of my debts (settled which does not look good). Renting a home in San Antonio costs just as much (sometimes even more) as buying. I have a stable job, put money into savings each month, pay into my 401K, and keep up to date on my bills.

I have twin 2 yr olds and would like to have them in a house as opposed to an apartment. Having a "home" for them to grow up in is really important to me.

After finding out that my rate was 6% I have questioned renting for a year but am afraid of the unknowns. Will I find a house in a great neighborhood, great schools, and great space for my family at the price that I am getting on house? Will the rates increase to 6% in a year anyways? I'd lose my earnest money $850 (my mortgage broker quoted me 5% when she did my prequal which is why I went through the whole thing).

Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Your rate is not truly 6%, it is an APR of 7.662%. You are paying a BOATLOAD of upfront fees. That is VERY VERY high. I really am concerned that you are being fleeced. The loan originator is NOT DOING YOU ANY FAVORS by front end loading a MOUNTAIN of costs into your loan and taking a hefty commission for their "ingenuity"...

http://creditboards.com/forums/index...owtopic=395329

Have you really calculated the total cost of ownership?

You are getting penalized SEVERELY for your poor credit score -- as Tim suggests many / most lenders simply are not making loans for folks with credit scores as low as yours.

I don't doubt that you may have done a lot to clear up your debts, that is a good thing. Unfortunately your credit score does not reflect those things. Your scores makes it easy for lenders to either flat out reject you OR charge ridiculous rates.

If you rent for a year or two and your score increases to the point where you are being charged a rate more in line with what other borrowers are being quoted you will be MUCH better off.

Last edited by chet everett; 04-12-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the great feedback chett! I feel as though I am so far into the process that I can't back out now. I was working with a mortgage broker who helps low score clients get their scores up. However, all of the things I did didn't produce the results we were hoping for. I was supposed to have my score up to 620+, but like I said, it just didn't get there. So when I went to go in to get the final APR/percentage rate it ended up being quite higher than I was originally told. That is a $100 increase on the mortgage payment each month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages