Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think "cash back at closing" is illegal?
Cash back at closing is (or should be illegal) at all times 18 32.14%
It's a slippery slope that is doing real damage to the real estate market 9 16.07%
If not illegal, it is at least unethical 4 7.14%
Fine to do. Where do I sign? 25 44.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
From how I understand it, it's perfectly legal as long as: - Everything is disclosed on the HUD statement - the house appraises for at least the sale price or higher - the concessions are taken off of the "net sale price" of the home on the HUD statement

But the more people I talk to about this, the more confusion there seems to be.
As well there should be. Fraud requires fraud. There are no neat indicators out of escrow. Disclosure of fraud in no way makes it legal. It is just disclosed fraud. I expect much fraud is properly disclosed in the HUD.

We seek simple answers. There are none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 10:10 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
We have an employee who bought a house last year. He was thrilled that he would be getting cash back at closing. He was getting his deposit back.

But what he didnt and still does not realize is that he is paying for that deposit for 30 years. And at a very high interest. The price of the house was $335,000, he borrowed 106% ; so if my memory is correct, his mortgage is $350,000. He does not have PMI ; because one loan is for 80%, theother is for 26% or so. One loan is 8%, other is 10%.

I am just waiting for to come crying to me that he is in foreclosure. His credit is terrible. His mortgage is over $3000 per month. Which is 3 times what his rent was. His mortgage broker told him he could refinance in a year and cut the payment. But what she didnt forsee, was that realestate prices in NY stopped climbing and have dipped.

Oh well, he should have listened to me years ago when he could have bought a house for around $100,000.

d

Old 08-02-2007, 10:16 AM

17 posts, read 63,432 times
When I sold my single family, which had been a rental and my tenants had burned out the boiler for the basedboard hot water heat, I gave the amount that I had an estimate to replace the boiler, which was $3,400.

I had the estimate there.

My house was on the market for less than 24 hours before I had an offer for more than I was asking. (I think the Realtor had advised a very low price because I had to sell quickly.)

I still had to discount the price for other things on the building inspection.

But the cash back to replace the boiler was great.

As I understand it, the buyer used the money not only to replace the boiler, but relocate it... so the money was a good idea because it was flexible.

Moderator cut: advertising
Karen Kline

Last edited by Marka; 08-09-2007 at 01:59 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 12:07 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,192 times
Default if it helps to sell - why not?

We are here in AZ and are offering cash back at sale time with full offer of asking price
Why? dishwasher has gone? everyone wants the new appliances that are out there - and we can not afford to replace - so if the new home owner can use 5000.00 to make it "their home" - why not? Incentive selling, especially in this market - most of the buyers are using quite a bit of their funds if not all - and to have a few dollars to make the home have their touch why not?
I do agree the large amounts that are cash back - for just cash in their pockets are questionable transactions

Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 PM

LVGAZ-

The other thing, is that if you buy the things, your taste may match some of the potential buyers, but there's no way it can match all.

The cash offer allows for anyone with a serious interest to get more of what they want.

Moderator cut: advertising
Karen Kline

Last edited by Marka; 08-09-2007 at 01:59 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 12:42 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,192 times
Exactly - so what is wrong in giving some cash back to close the sale, and let them make it all their home, their tastes, styles, etc
thanks...

Old 08-03-2007, 09:45 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post
Exactly - so what is wrong in giving some cash back to close the sale, and let them make it all their home, their tastes, styles, etc
thanks...
Run that by a mortgage underwriter and see what kind of response you get.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:27 AM

Doesn't the mortgage underwriter look at the sales contract?

If the concession is listed, then isn't the underwriter agreeing?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Yea, it is in the contract...the underwriters are seeing it and getting out their stamper marked "DENIED". If a buyer is getting a mortgage, that mortgage is for the house "as is". They are not lending on personal property (furniture, art work, lawn tractor, boat, etc.). There are also not lending on new wall paper, tile, landscaping, etc.

Now if something vital like a new septic sytstem or furnace is needed, we MIGHT be able to hold back seller funds in an escrow account to make the repairs depending on the deal. We would have to get an estimate from a contractor and hold back 1.5 times this amount to be held in escrow. Underwiters don't even like to see this, but we can usually get them to go along with it.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:00 AM

Now cash deal...go ahead and go whatever you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages