Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 10:33 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,289,725 times

Advertisements

My wife filed for bankruptcy in 2003 due to a divorce. It's due to be removed in about 2 years but we are ready to buy (maybe). My credit score is excellent (~800) and hers is excellent even with her bankruptcy (~750). We've worked very hard to repair her score. We both have very steady jobs (over 3 years each) and enough income to pay for a mortgage in our area. We have 0 debt besides my ~$100/month student loan payment. Both cars are paid for. Insurance is paid yearly. We are prepared to put down roughly 10% so I'm assuming we'd have to go FHA?

My questions:

1. How much will her bankruptcy 8 years ago affect us now despite her now repaired credit? Should we even bother now, or should we wait 2 years until it's removed?

2. Based on the above, what type of loan should we try for (traditional, FHA, etc...)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 AM

45 posts, read 433,160 times
if you can only put down 10% or less and never own a home within last 3 years... i suggest you go through any first time home buyer program which requires less downpayment and lower rates than FHA and no PMI.. go to your city website and call a few banks and ask them. gl

Old 07-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by google9 View Post
if you can only put down 10% or less and never own a home within last 3 years... i suggest you go through any first time home buyer program which requires less downpayment and lower rates than FHA and no PMI.. go to your city website and call a few banks and ask them. gl
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into programs for California.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,400,602 times
I always thought it was seven years for a bankruptcy to no longer affect your credit rating. I could well be wrong.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,004,770 times
Call a mortgage broker. They can look at both your credit scores and your income to help you understand whether you qualify for a mortgage, and what type of mortgage would be least expensive. Conventional loans are starting to require less $$ down, so that might also be an option for you.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 AM

I searched all over LA county and state of CA websites but couldn't find any programs for first time buyers like myself. I found a few but we are disqualified due to income.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 AM

214 posts, read 811,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
I searched all over LA county and state of CA websites but couldn't find any programs for first time buyers like myself. I found a few but we are disqualified due to income.

Hi ZenMaster,

You don't need a state/county first time home buyer program, these are typically for folks that need down payment assistance. What you need to do is have lender run a scenario for you comparing FHA to Conventional so yu can decide which option makes the most sense for you and your family.
FHA only requires a 2 year "wait" from the discharge of your BK while conventional requires 4 years.

Depending on how the 2 compare (rate, closing costs and monthly payment) and your short/long term goals you may want to go with the lowest down payment option for the sake of liquidity.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:37 PM

836 posts, read 1,779,308 times
My ex has filed a bankruptcy in 2002, which is now discharged but still shows up on my credit. But I don't think it's affecting the score, just there for information under "public records".

Besides, your scores ARE great, so you should be able to get a loan just fine, only, like someone said, might be better off with some first-buyer program if you can find any.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages