Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 AM

28 posts, read 70,475 times

Advertisements

My lender is asking for documents NOW that I don't think I can obtain immediately in order to process the loan in time for our closing on Monday. There's no reason they shouldn't have known they would be necessary weeks ago, and this is just one frustration in a long list of things that have happened to make us want to run the other way from Wells Fargo.

The sellers of our new house are scheduled to close on their new house the same day. My fiance wants to start the loan process over at our local credit union, partially out of spite for our lender, but I'm worried the transaction will fall apart if we have to delay the closing very long.

The thing is, we have the money to buy the house outright. Would it be insane to do that and try to get a home equity loan after the fact? My fiance is starting a business (which is what we'll need the money for) and I will be a medical student this fall, so our only income will be the salary he sets for himself from his new business. I think I know the answer, I guess I just need someone else to tell me we would never get a loan under those circumstances. I really like this house and the idea of starting the home search over makes me sick to my stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM

768 posts, read 4,342,265 times
The business will need to have been existence for 2 years in order to count it's income. What types of documents is your lender asking for? What income is being used to qualify for the mortgage right now?

Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Even if you get a 2nd mortgage and not a 1st technically its still your 1st mortgage.
Wells Forgo (intentional misspelling) seems to pull this stunt a lot as it may cause your closing to be delayed and your lock in rate might expire and a new "slightly" higher rate will have to be used. Bad for you..good for them! For go them and use a credit union.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
What you are experiencing is not uncommon. Lender these days are always looking for "just one more thing" at the last minute. They seem to think that their process is more important and the sales contract has no bearing on anything.

While it is never too late to change lenders, you will likely need an extension if you do.

Buying the house cash then trying to refinance is not the best solution. Financing after the fact will be harder (it will be a cash out refi), cost more and you may be required to wait before you can accomplish it. This should only be a last resort.

I would just keep escalating your complaint through Wells Fargo until you get some who will act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages