Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 03:13 PM

17 posts, read 37,999 times

Advertisements

I'm buying a home and my grandmother has co-signed the loan. Sadly, she has passed away while the escrow check is in the mail. The contract is signed, and to the best of my knowledge, we don't need anymore signatures from her.

We needed her monthly income to help us get the loan, and that is of course now gone. We also will get no help from the executors of her estate.

What is my disclosure obligation to my lender?

If I didn't tell the lender she passed away, would he find out in a final credit pull?

Thank you. I know my grandmother would want me to get this home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 03:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Can you make the payments without her help? If you needed her income to qualify, it sounds like you can't really afford the nhouse.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:59 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doinker View Post
I'm buying a home and my grandmother has co-signed the loan. Sadly, she has passed away while the escrow check is in the mail. The contract is signed, and to the best of my knowledge, we don't need anymore signatures from her.

We needed her monthly income to help us get the loan, and that is of course now gone. We also will get no help from the executors of her estate.

Sorry if I didn't tell the lender she passed away, would he find out in a final credit pull?

If you need a her to sign then you cannot afford the house if you need to lye to get the the house you cannot afford it

Old 06-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Look for a new co-signer, fast, or a cheaper house. Even if you can make the payments yourself but didn't qualify due to a "less than perfect" credit record, they will find out, because the lender will have people whose job it is to review the obituaries for people who died that have a Mortgage with them, to get a head start on the deceased claim. As a co-signer her name will be there when they cross reference the database. You can be considered liable for fraud, and while they might not prosecute they would definitely call in the loan. You would have to pay it off immediately or vacate and probably lose your down payment. Call the lender Monday
and ask for some time. This is not the 90s when people got away with this sort of thing.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your responses. I should clarify that I can easily make the payment and have plenty of assets in case of a lay-off or any incidents like that.

I am, however, leaving the state and changing jobs which makes my income very hard to document. That's why I needed Grandma.

I am mostly interested in what is my legal obligation, what could happen, and what has happened in your experiences.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your responses. I should clarify that I can easily make the payment and have plenty of assets in case of a lay-off or any incidents like that.

BS I don't buy it because in your first post you said that you did need her income to make the loan and payments.

"We needed her monthly income to help us get the loan, and that is of course now gone. We also will get no help from the executors of her estate."

busta

Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
BS I don't buy it because in your first post you said that you did need her income to make the loan and payments.

"We needed her monthly income to help us get the loan, and that is of course now gone. We also will get no help from the executors of her estate."

busta
Whatever. Anyone else?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Quote:

If I didn't tell the lender she passed away, would he find out in a final credit pull?

To bustaduke's point you did say this....

In any case you're going to have to tell the bank sooner or later and better sooner IMO. They will find out. I don't know about looking over the obituaries (there could always be two people with the same name, I don't know how you use an obituary to make a case), but I'm sure they have other ways.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 AM

166 posts, read 375,323 times
doinker it sounds like you're in over your head. The days of "liar loans" are over, and your Weekend at Bernie's mortgage app won't amuse the lender one bit. And yes they will discover it.

Instead of looking for people's approval, why not listen to the sensible advice already given. You cannot afford this home without grandma's pension, you've admitted this yourself.

There's a word for people like you, doinker. Renter.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Guys, there are a 1001 reasons why someone needs a co-signer due to the rules we now have on steroids. It's gone beyond ridiculous. You can have someone pulling a six figure income, but because of guideline changes, we can't count the income. I don't think it's fair for any of us to say the OP is not able to make the payment without specifics.

Banks do not have someone reading the obits looking for borrowers that have passed away. In my 30 years in banking, I've never even heard of such a thing. I have no idea where that came from. Deceased socials are now reported to the credit bureaus and now come up on credit reports. Sure there are gaps, but there are other processes that will pick up a deceased individual to prevent credit, but no one is combing the papers.

OP I don't understand completely were you are in the process. Are you saying all the docs were signed? The "closing" occurred? She signed the note? The funds are just being disburse for recording? If that is the case, she signed a promise to pay before she died. Recording is an event that happens after closing. Now, if you still have yet to get to the closing, you do have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages