Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 AM

160 posts, read 600,887 times

Advertisements

Bonfire of the homebuilders - BusinessWeek Online - MSNBC.com

What do you guys think about this?

I know there are some seriously scummy people out there trying to take advantage of people, but what happened to taking responsibility for your own actions? I didn't feel sorry for the homeowners in this article because it seemed like they're trying to blame their impatience on someone else instead of showing how these lenders acted unethically without their knowledge.
The first couple bought a new house before selling the old one. How is that the lender's fault? In this market isn't that a cardinal no-no? I have had to live with my mom (ugh) to avoid paying two mortgages. I would have loved to have my shiny new house instead of being 2 years old again, but I am so glad I didn't. It took over 8 months to sell and we probably would have been in foreclosure too if we'd been so impatient. Of course the builders and realtors called saying, 'oh just make it contingent on your sale', but I just said no and the same or similar houses are still there. (and at lower prices)

It seems like they agreed to do some questionable things to get the house and now want to blame the lender when it was clearly disclosed to them in the first place. Where is the problem? Of course I'm not talking about the truly deceptive people out there, just this narrow situation in this article that seems unnecessarily alarmist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,391 times
I read the article too, but in the hard copy not the online article. The thing that just floored me is these people's income was something like $140k and they were buying a house over $500k. Even without the old mortgage, no one told them to bite off that much.

Personal responsibility is being ignored by a lot of people as a huge contribution to this mortgage mess. Owning a house is not a right, it's a privilege. If you can't afford to own in a given area, rent. It will not kill you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages