U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,473 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done a seller carry back before? How did it turn out?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 PM

8,207 posts, read 20,387,588 times
I think it's a win-win. The seller gets the property back if the buyer defaults and the buyer gets an oppotunity to buy when they normally may not have been able to without the take-back. If you have to foreclose on them, you'll need an attorney......which if you are the seller, I would have the document drawn up by an attorney (REAL ESTATE ATTORNEY).

The inspections should not be bypassed and the buyer should get their own independent appraisal. If you are the buyer, you don't want to depend on the seller's info. If you are the seller, you don't want to be accused of offering an inducement to buy an overpriced or problem property. (We have gone way off the page on litigious actions.....cya is called for).

Most seller financed loans are amortized over 30 years with a slightly higher than market rate, but have a balloon payment at the end of 5 years.

Not sure if that even touched on what you were looking for....

Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,031,215 times
I carried the mortgage on a house I sold in a small university town. Second family but he was a prof starting at the uni. Seemed like a good bet. I offered them the going rate and had my attorney draw up the contract and amortization schedule. They had to carry homeowner's in the amount of the house payable to me. After 5 yrs they sold it and I got almost the entire purchase price as the mortgage was front-end loaded with interest. I made out like a bandit!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM

69,360 posts, read 58,542,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptartsforme View Post
Has anyone done a seller carry back before? How did it turn out?
Been on both sides of the transaction. As a seller, I prefer a lease with option agreement because if they dont pay, you can simply evict them with a landlord tenant dispute, rather than foreclosure process. Its easier, quicker, more cost effective. As a buyer, I usually insist on a mortgage and deed transaction if I cant get 20% equity into the property fast, either though a down payment, or paydown. If I can get the 20%, I'll do a land contract because once you get 20% equity, there are special laws in place in most of the nation to protect your equity.

I've learned all of this the hard way, of course. Currently in the process of doing a seller carry back on our hotel which has been in the family for decades. We structured the deal as a lease with option because a buyer paying cash, (i.e. or using a mortgage), would have subjected us to unacceptable capital gains liability. With the carry back we can go to the bank and do a refi to cash out our equity. Its very similar to a leverage buy out which was popular 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages