Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times

Advertisements

Chet...you need to do a reality check with today's market. Things have changed.....and deals with an all cash buyer far outpace people who are walking around with the possibility of obtaining a mortgage.

If i had a nickel for every contingency i have seen i could pay cash for a palace.

Alas, that is just the reality of today's market. Buyers are skittish; banks are dysfunctional; appraisers are tougher than ever; and anyone who can bypass these hurdles is a far better buyer than someone who has to jump through fire to get that mortgage that was 'promised'.

Cash is king...by a wide margin. Use it to your advanatge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Thanks for the really good input -- There are some important points raised that I will check-out before moving ahead. (We've got a pretty well structured 401K/pension/annuity/equity/cash pool and the cash purchase will still leave us with some reasonable degree of liquidity).

It just doesn't seem like the relatively flat ROI on investments today justifies a mortgage, even at the prevailing low rates. Of course, that could change, at which point, the cash vs mortgage (and investment) picture would, likewise, change. I don't think we will have a problem getting a HELOC (based on prior pre-approvals, etc), but, will check that out first.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,706 times
I would have said pay cash until the past year. What if you get into your new place and don't like it after a few months to a year? If you want to move to a new place, you might have to do a contingency offer (would need to sell your house to afford new house) because you don't have enough cash for a non-contingency offer. Why not take out a mortgage now, then if you are sure you really want to stay in your place after a year, go ahead and pay off the mortgage? Make sure there aren't any early payoff penalties in your paperwork.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:26 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I respectfully disagree.

While the perception in many markets may be that only cash deals are possible, the shear volumes of traditionally financed purchases dwarfs all cash deals by many orders of magnitude. For every busted out condo there are dozens of unencumbered non-distressed sellers that have no reason to fawn over a low balling cash buyer if their property is in a condition to attract traditional finance worthy buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages