Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 10,267 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

Looking for some guidance regarding underwriters authority to sign off on appraisal conditions. I've completed alot of appraisals in which the home had no functional electricity or water on the date of my inspection. I condition the appraisal for functional mechanical systems. If the lender receives a report from the Home Inspector indicating that all utilities are functional, isn't that good enough proof for the underwriter to sign off on the appraisal condition?

Does it matter if the utilities were functional before I inspected the property or the inspection was completed after my inspection? I don't see the point in sending me back to check mechanical systems if there is a home inspection report that indicates they are fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 11:30 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,585,637 times
The home inspector was not hired by the lender to verify value and property condition, you were. You are the only one authorized to update your report.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:07 AM

42 posts, read 171,808 times
I am in the process of having a house built. appraiser came out when its was half done and i have to pay $150 for them to come out again when its finished after i get my C of O before they will finalize the mortgage. C of O should be enough to let them know its done imo.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:15 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRAISER GUY View Post
Hi Folks,

Looking for some guidance regarding underwriters authority to sign off on appraisal conditions. I've completed alot of appraisals in which the home had no functional electricity or water on the date of my inspection. I condition the appraisal for functional mechanical systems. If the lender receives a report from the Home Inspector indicating that all utilities are functional, isn't that good enough proof for the underwriter to sign off on the appraisal condition?

Does it matter if the utilities were functional before I inspected the property or the inspection was completed after my inspection? I don't see the point in sending me back to check mechanical systems if there is a home inspection report that indicates they are fine?
In the past, yes (unless FHA or VA). We use to accept a buyer's statement that all was working fine. No more. It now must be the appraiser that physically inspects the property for said condition. FRAUD IS AT ITS ALL TIME HIGH. The devil's advocate says, who's to say you (not "you" literally) didn't change the address on the report? We use to accept the local municipality's OP (or RUP) as the final inspection for new construction......no mas. It's a sign of the times = make sure there is no reason to kick that loan back in the secondary market.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
answered on your other thread by the same title.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,548,167 times
I agree with Appraiser Guy. We are not inspectors nor are mechanics and utilities within the realm of expertise.

Why we can not include a copy of the statement from the Inspector that all is working well is beyond me.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,548,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny View Post
I am in the process of having a house built. appraiser came out when its was half done and i have to pay $150 for them to come out again when its finished after i get my C of O before they will finalize the mortgage. C of O should be enough to let them know its done imo.
The C of O certifies that the house is fit to live in. It doesn't certify that the house was finished according to specs and plans. If the specs call for marble counter tops and the finished product is low builders grade type counter tops there could be a value issue.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:50 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,145,851 times
The inspector does not work for the lender. His word is worth zero to a lender or underwriter.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
The appraisal was done "subject to" so we must have a clear final appraisal done to send to the investors and our underwriter.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM

835 posts, read 3,979,261 times
HVCC and appraiser independence compared to the inspector who has no governing body and may have a reason to take short cuts. The appraisers word is always going to be more valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages