Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:23 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,281 times

Advertisements

I wish we could just sell the place......even at a $40K loss but no one is buying. I guess we could list it but almost seems like a waste of time.

In all honesty and it is the last course of action if the renting route went sour.....I could just stop making payments on the condo and then ask for a loan modification.

It is kind of ass backwards that if don't pay your loan they will help you but if you do they wont. At 6 3/8 I could really benefit from a refi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Will your taxes go up on the place you would be renting out? In my area, many times the taxes double on a non-owner occupied because you no longer get the exemption. Would be landlords forget to figure that part in all the time. Might or might not be true for your area.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:30 PM

I guess in essence what we are really trying to do is buy a 2nd home. It is frustrating as I should have rented 4 years ago. DUMB! We are 2 people with solid stable jobs with decent earnings, solid credit scores, and $120K in the bank and due the market ****ting the bed we are stuck. I know I am not alone but doing everything "right" turned out to be the worst financial decision I have made in my life.....so far.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Will your taxes go up on the place you would be renting out? In my area, many times the taxes double on a non-owner occupied because you no longer get the exemption. Would be landlords forget to figure that part in all the time. Might or might not be true for your area.
My realtor did not mention anything about changing taxes. I will ask. In the 4 years I have been there the taxes and HOA fees haven't moved. At least not that I noticed.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
I guess in essence what we are really trying to do is buy a 2nd home. It is frustrating as I should have rented 4 years ago. DUMB! We are 2 people with solid stable jobs with decent earnings, solid credit scores, and $120K in the bank and due the market ****ting the bed we are stuck. I know I am not alone but doing everything "right" turned out to be the worst financial decision I have made in my life.....so far.
My my take on it is that you would be making a mistake taking on another huge mortgage at this point. I understand that you are thinking starting a family but consider this. Most people who buy a house for family reason has to do with location because of school. In your case, that's not something to worry about for another 5 years.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM

So basically stay where I am, don't have any kids, wait till the market turns around (which could take forever) and be basically miserable as we do not like living here anymore.

That sucks.........I am close to saying **** it and give the house back to the bank. I am paying PMI....so they are covered. I know terrible attitude.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 PM

Question. Do you ever factor in the taxes you get back from paying all the mortgage interest? I mean If I did go ahead with the plan I would stand to probably get back 15K in taxes after I file. Wouldn't it be wise to use some of this money to pay the property taxes and not have the bank escrow the money for taxes? It would keep my monthly expenses down.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
I wish we could just sell the place......even at a $40K loss but no one is buying. I guess we could list it but almost seems like a waste of time.
How much below your mortgage balance is the condo market?
Do you know any landlord types?

It'll hurt... but only for the year or so it takes to recoup that amount from rigorous saving. Taking that loss on the chin will allow you to move forward.

good luck

Old 10-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How much below your mortgage balance is the condo market?
Do you know any landlord types?

It'll hurt... but only for the year or so it takes to recoup that amount from rigorous saving. Taking that loss on the chin will allow you to move forward.

good luck
We owe 199K.....Best selling price 160K, more realistic $140-$150K. A unit not as nice as mine just sold for $151 on July 26 and another **** unit sold for 125K. I have a top floor unit with high ceilings which are the most desirable in the complex.

After paying back the bank and the real estate and closing for a sale price of $150K we would probably be taking a 60K hit.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
So basically stay where I am, don't have any kids, wait till the market turns around (which could take forever) and be basically miserable as we do not like living here anymore.

That sucks.........I am close to saying **** it and give the house back to the bank. I am paying PMI....so they are covered. I know terrible attitude.
I know how you feel, that trapped feeling, and it sucks. I don't know if you have heard about this or not, but it could be a good route for you: Marketplace Homes - New Construction Homes - We lease your current home so you can buy a new home!

The "deal" with Markeplace is that they find a renter for your house and guarantee you the rent payments. They charge you one month's rent annually for their service, but they handle all the maintenance and landlord stuff for you. Their real incentive to do this is that you buy a house from one of their partner builders and they get a commission on that sale. I looked into their program for myself, but it sounds like it would be a good fit for your situation. Unfortunately, it won't work for me because I already have a large house and they won't guarantee rent payments of more than $2000/month. I'm actually hoping to downsize a little for our next house, or at least downsize the purchase price...

Anyway, it's worth looking at. The person I talked to for the sales consultation was really nice and he wasn't pushy at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages