Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:47 PM

13 posts, read 24,107 times

Advertisements

Currently I am renting and would like to purchase a house in the next 5 years. I currently have a car loan and student loans that I am paying, but I would like to pay those off before I buy a house so that I can just focus on saving up for a 20% down payment. However, if I pay off all my debt then would that impact me trying to get a mortgage in 5 years since I would have no current debt, even if I have 20% down payment?

Would it be smarter to just make the minimum payments so I can keep my credit good, while saving at the same time? I ran the numbers and with either method I would be buying a house at the same point in time. It would feel good to be debt free but I don't want to screw myself over if it means that my credit score is going to drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 02:52 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
We pay off our credit cards in full each month and we had no debt other than the 6 or so credit cards. It didn't hurt us a bit when we applied for our mortgage. We were able to get a loan with no points and at the lower end of the rate scale.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spl1981 View Post
...I would like to pay those off before I buy a house
so that I can just focus on saving up for a 20% down payment.
regardless of anything else going on...
paying off debt is almost always the best thing to do.

Quote:
I would have no current debt, even if I have 20% down payment?
This is *NOT* a bad thing.

Quote:
Would it be smarter to just make the minimum payments so I can keep my credit good, while saving at the same time?
You have a fundamental misconception here.

You will still have credit/debt...
all those utility companies, and using the VISA, and probably a car loan etc
but most of this credit will on a 'revolving" basis.

These accounts and such let you get to show (every month!) that you are responsible.
Use the credit you have available... but pay it off every month.

When the times does come to buy... your DTI, cash reserves (for down and closing etc),
and the stability of your employment is what will matter. You're doing well on all fronts.

hth

Last edited by MrRational; 10-22-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks guys, that makes sense. I will focus on paying off my debt first.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:48 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
You really seem to have your priorities in line.

Remember that even when you are not carrying a balance on a credit card, do not cancel the card. Keep it and charge on it a couple of times a year, remembering to pay it off in full. The idea is to increase your credit availability. You lose that if you cancel the cards. We have more cards than we need, one of them we use once a year. Since we never charge what we don't have the funds for already saved/budgeted, it's just a matter of remembering to use the card instead of cash.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You really seem to have your priorities in line.

Remember that even when you are not carrying a balance on a credit card, do not cancel the card. Keep it and charge on it a couple of times a year, remembering to pay it off in full. The idea is to increase your credit availability. You lose that if you cancel the cards. We have more cards than we need, one of them we use once a year. Since we never charge what we don't have the funds for already saved/budgeted, it's just a matter of remembering to use the card instead of cash.
I don't have a credit card though. I had 3 when I was young and just out of high school and was irresponsible with them. It took me a good 5-6 years to finally pay them all off and once I did I cancelled them. Would you suggest getting a credit card to increase my available credit?

Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spl1981 View Post
I don't have a credit card though. I had 3 when I was young and just out of high school and was irresponsible with them. It took me a good 5-6 years to finally pay them all off and once I did I cancelled them. Would you suggest getting a credit card to increase my available credit?
yes, you probably should. It helps building up your score and available credit. They are also looking at how old those accounts are, and by the time you apply for mortgage, it has to be at least one year old - precisely to show that now you CAN be responsible.
I only had 1 older credit card (plus one a few months old, opened just for credit purposes), and had to prove non-traditional credit by letter from landlord, utilities company, etc. But it's more pain in the rear that way, and less impressive. Best to have 3 older accouns open, some revolving and some installment-type. I had to get a secured loan just for the history of having it. But my score went up 30 points with that and a new card.

So, I would not pay ALL debt off, but definitely a majority of it.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
you have it backwards...if you pay your debts off your credit score RISES not drops! Your % utilization drops and a low utilization results in a higher score!

Old 10-25-2011, 11:59 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
you have it backwards...if you pay your debts off your credit score RISES not drops! Your % utilization drops and a low utilization results in a higher score!
that's how I was advised at my banks and it really did help!

...if you pay it ALL off, the loan closes and the available credit it gave drops off from the ratios. That's why I said pay off most but not all... speaking of the same thing, aren't we?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 PM

735 posts, read 1,584,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
...if you pay it ALL off, the loan closes and the available credit it gave drops off from the ratios. That's why I said pay off most but not all... speaking of the same thing, aren't we?
Use it and pay it off every month and you will continue to have a utilization rate of > 0% and your credit will not fall.

Last I checked
> 0% = A.
= 0% = C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages