Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:25 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a 30 year 6.375 mortgage. I was told you should always put money toward the principal (I have no pre-payment penalties) if you can. But since you can write off interest paid, i am not certain that is a better way to go..any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 24,193 times
What are goals? Why do you ask? You can get an accountant to run the numbers between the money saved on writing off mtg. taxes and paying extra. From my experience I'd prefer paying a little extra on the house payment; it seems the the 'benefit' of the mtg. writeoff is just a myth. Even if you pay 1 extra mtg. payment a year you roughly shave 7 years of the loan (about 22 years). You just take your monthly payment, divide by 12, and pay that much extra each year. And/Or, you can get a bi monthly payment which will shave some time off as well without increasing your monthly payment (it works by you paying 1/2 your monthly payment 2x month, say every 2 weeks). Getting 20% equity means you could drop mtg. insurance if you have it. Again, what are your goals?

Old 08-23-2007, 05:35 PM

510 posts, read 3,201,133 times
I would read this article. It's kinda long, but a very important read and completely applies to your question. http://www.realgroup.com/Asset_Manag...g-Mortgage.pdf

Old 08-23-2007, 07:12 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
My rule of thumb has always been:

1) Do I have enough cash on hand to be fine for an emergency, job loss etc.

IF not, save and don't pay down your house. I took a slightly too aggressive mortgage in my first house and went through some tight times after kids arrived so stay liquid.

2) If my house interest rate is 7%, I can pay it down "risk free" or I can invest it somewhere. If I feel I can't get a better return than this...which is somewhat doubtful when considering market risk...then I'd probably be better off just paying down the mortgage.

3) If you can get out of PMI by doing this then that is added incentive.

P.S. Paying down your mortgage used to be heresy to those who KNEW they could get 20% returns every year forever by investing in tech stocks or that could use that money to buy additional properties which would just make you huge guaranteed returns. These people however have mostly gone the way of the Day Traders so I don't have to listen to their fantastical get rich quick for no risk tripe.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Go talk to a financial planer and get there professional opinion after they know your complete situation.
For some people, yes pay it off, for others it is just like chucking money off a bridge.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 30 year 6.375 mortgage. I was told you should always put money toward the principal (I have no pre-payment penalties) if you can. But since you can write off interest paid, i am not certain that is a better way to go..any advice?
6.375% minus your interest deduction would be (roughly 25%) making your "effective rate" about 4.8%
If you are not maximizing your tax deferred retirement plans then I suggest you put as much as you can into these vehicles first. This allows your money to compound (money grows on the amount you invest plus any dividends paid if they are dividend paying stocks, mutual funds whatever) tax free with some of uncle sams money. This is the key, OPM other peoples money. If you have maxed this out and have cash set aside for emergencies (cash for emergencies should be the first thing you do 3-6 months take home pay. After that I would then max out my retirement savings) then I would go for it or buy more real estate and rent it out. Let someone else pay it off for you. So many times I get old folks coming to take an equity line of credit out on their home after they have recently paid it off. When I ask why did they pay it off when they are now borrowing against it they tell me 1 of 2 things 1) I was always told to do it that way and it seemed like the right thing to do 2) I can't take the money with me when I die and i want to enjoy it in my retirement.
Bottom line, manage you money so that while you are alive you can live the lifestyle you desire with a manageable predictable mortgage payment. Hope that the last dime in your checking account gets spent when you take your last breath! (It probably won't work this way...someone will inherit whatever is left). For whatever that's worth...it's my opinion and I am sticking to it!!!!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My rule of thumb has always been:

1) Do I have enough cash on hand to be fine for an emergency, job loss etc.

IF not, save and don't pay down your house. I took a slightly too aggressive mortgage in my first house and went through some tight times after kids arrived so stay liquid.

2) If my house interest rate is 7%, I can pay it down "risk free" or I can invest it somewhere. If I feel I can't get a better return than this...which is somewhat doubtful when considering market risk...then I'd probably be better off just paying down the mortgage.

3) If you can get out of PMI by doing this then that is added incentive.

P.S. Paying down your mortgage used to be heresy to those who KNEW they could get 20% returns every year forever by investing in tech stocks or that could use that money to buy additional properties which would just make you huge guaranteed returns. These people however have mostly gone the way of the Day Traders so I don't have to listen to their fantastical get rich quick for no risk tripe.

Hello mathguy! I have been reading your posts and I like what you have to say...most of the time. However I have to disagree with the fantastical get rich for no risk tripe statement. There is always some layer of risk. If you are not willing to risk then why not put it all in a can and bury it in your backyard?

I am no day trader and I have had some amazing returns on my long term investments. Actually I still do and only 4% of the investments I own (10% of my portfolio is tech stocks) are returning less than 5%. I do not think this is difficult to duplicate if one takes the time to read, understand and manage money with minimized risk. I think paying off a mortgage is an emotional decision unless you have a pretty good idea you can't make a decent ROI.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuterdu View Post
Hello mathguy! I have been reading your posts and I like what you have to say...most of the time. However I have to disagree with the fantastical get rich for no risk tripe statement. There is always some layer of risk. If you are not willing to risk then why not put it all in a can and bury it in your backyard?

I am no day trader and I have had some amazing returns on my long term investments. Actually I still do and only 4% of the investments I own (10% of my portfolio is tech stocks) are returning less than 5%. I do not think this is difficult to duplicate if one takes the time to read, understand and manage money with minimized risk. I think paying off a mortgage is an emotional decision unless you have a pretty good idea you can't make a decent ROI.
Your point is well taken.

My main gist is that there have been periods of time where "the masses" believe that a 15+% rate of return is normal and sustainable (ie. no risk) and that only a fool would pay down a mortgage.

It seems your portfolio is more stock based than equity which may be age appropriate....another variable.

I think my only actual point is that depending on your age, your mortgage rate, your investment portfolio, other outstanding debts (credit card etc) and your own personal investment appetite for risk....that paying down a mortgage is not always bad.

Me personally, I'm not paying down my mortgage, I've got a lot of family medical expenses for now and for the forseeable future and have had to cut down my 401k contribution rate to the full match level and can't do a Roth either. Also, I'm not *old* so I'd still be interested in higher returning investments and also my mortgage rate is pretty low.

Sorry if I didn't explain myself better at first, I appreciate the discussion.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Hi all,

I wish people would get off the you can write off interest mantra. You are spending money to save less money than you are spending.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
I wish people would get off the you can write off interest mantra. You are spending money to save less money than you are spending.
It's hard to follow your point, would you care to elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages