Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,485 times

Advertisements

Hello, posting this for advice from people who inderstand investment property loans.

My Dad wants to sell to me his investment property so he can cash out. We want to make this a no-out-of-pocket transaction for me. AKA he would give me closing costs and 20% equity. If this was a primary residence i would just take a loan for 20% less the sales price and the remainder would be a gift of equity. How can my Dad cash out here without me paying anything? Should he just trnasfer the title to me and i refinance 6 months down the line? Is there a faster way to cash out?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 AM

192 posts, read 826,815 times
Your father may have some tax implications with the "gift" money. Probably best to speak with a tax expert/accountant to figure out the best way to structure the deal.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,485 times
Thanks. Understand there are tax implications. Im more focused on cashing out for my Dad and not paying anythin out of my pocket.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:46 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkrat View Post
...he (and Mom) would give me (cash in the form of tax free gifts -up to about $24,000- to cover) closing costs and 20% equity (based on a fair market value appraisal in order to have an "arms length transaction")...

How can my Dad cash out here without me paying anything?
The other issue for Dad is his depreciation vs capital gain.
Talk to the CPA.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
This could get REAL complicated real fast and even nice honest CPAs that deal with "regular Joe" clients go to the conferences where the advantages of "special purpose entities" can be made to sound VERY enticing...

Gonna be MUCH cleaner for dad to just sell the place! Call a property broker and get it listed. Even if you and dad decide it makes more sense for you to buy the place from him having the place listed will help ward off an IRS juju about this being a non-arms length transaction for either of you should you get audited.

Unless you and dad (and great grandmama) have a "special relationship" with a white shoe bank I doubt you are gonna be happy with the kind of rates you are gonna get quoted from "normal" investment property lenders...

Old 11-12-2011, 07:41 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
My son and his GF bought her father's investment property with a gift of equity for their owner occupied home. He also paid all closing costs from the proceeds.

Fannie only has restrictions on non arms length transactions on new contruction property purchases (if working for builder, must be owner occupied), short sales (can't sell to relative), and cash out refi's (can't cash out prior to 6 months).

Go see your lender, have dad see his accountant. If he can swallow the tax bill, you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages