U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM

553 posts, read 1,820,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod4 View Post
I am getting close to $9k in incentives from my builder for going with their broker. In the GFE, closing costs are a bit high so I compared to just going straight to the lender and the builder's broker is charging me 2 points for the same rate!

I still think it is a better deal...basically paying $5k to save $9k and I get a lower sales price which means lower taxes and supposed "immediate equity" because the house is worth $9k more than I will be paying for it.

I am going to try and get those points lowered, but even if they don't it is still a decent deal.
What is your rate maybe they are buying it down With those two points, or that is par and 1 and a half to two is normal.

Last edited by NY62; 08-28-2007 at 07:26 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 65,420 times
rate the broker quoted me was 6.30% with 2 points...1 point which was to lock the rate for 240 days (home wont be built until March 2008).

when i went straight to the same lender, quote was 6.30% with no points and I would have to pay 1 point to lock for 240 days but that would go back into down payment or closing costs once I secured the loan with them.

Last edited by jrod4; 08-29-2007 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 AM

553 posts, read 1,820,443 times
Quote:
rate the broker quoted me was 6.30% with 2 points...1 point which was to lock the rate for 240 days (home wont be built until March 2008).

when i went straight to the same lender, quote was 6.30% with no points and I would have to pay 1 point to lock for 240 days but that would go back into down payment or closing costs once I secured the loan with them.
I dont know your loan amount but basicly you are paying 1 point to get 9grand unless you are getting more then a 900000 mortgage you are not getting ripped. 1 point for locking that long seems fair but make sure it is in writing, they have a habit of floating rates to try and make more ysp, the good people will take there loses if it goes the wrong way, while the jerks will not tell you untill closing,and hit you with a higher rate. they will feed you some story and hope you will sighn anyway. Also check total closing cost on both deals you could be getting hit with two points from the lender and not even know it, loan origination fee is a point. Brokers are not allowed to charge that they have to put it as a point, banks dont. I dont know where you are buying but most builders are giving way better incentives then 9gs off for using "there guy" try like 6% towards closing costs then buy that rate way down with there money just make sure it is a fixed 30 year not some intro rate.good luck you are not getting a great deal but you are not getting ripped either.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 PM

42,835 posts, read 82,129,770 times
Quote:
Do you get to float down, though? It's widely expected that the mortgage rates will be lower by this time.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:36 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,262,218 times
hangglide, excellent information. Even in new construction, having your own agent and listen to their advice, can really help you.

Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages