Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:14 PM

28 posts, read 218,301 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My partner and I want to buy a home in another state. We don't have jobs there yet but want to buy now and then transition out there. We are currently renting and have excellent credit but little down. We can easily do the 3-5% down though. We have bought and sold two houses previously. I can't use my VA because we would have to move there within 60 days and I couldn't verify income since I don't have a job there yet. The house would be our primary residence eventually. Should we claim it as such or call it vacation or second home? Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 03:32 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,764 times
You can go primary with a no verifacation loan or second full doc ,you have to sit with someone and go over both to see what one works the best for you.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:32 PM

510 posts, read 3,201,306 times
I think most lenders will let you do it as a primary assuming a few things. Are you transferring there are starting a new job? If you're starting a new job have you already been placed? In either of those situations a letter from the current or future employer would probably help. You'll want to call a few different lenders and chat with them about it. I'm assuming you're not retired, otherwise I'd guess you could move sooner if needed.

Keep in mind a loan officer has the goal in mind of closing your loan. If it's a brokerage be sure to tell them the whole story. A bank on the other hand could be trapped by forwarding any information you give them to the underwriter, so be a touch more tight lipped with them.

I'd start with a brokerage, so they can help advise you and offer you some options. They key to starting at a brokerage is that the loan officer has more leeway than an LO for a bank. From there, you can do some shopping at a bank or another lender if you choose.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Thanks for the posts

I'm not transferring jobs. I will looking for employment once there. It never occurred to me that this might be a problem. I just figured the loan approval could be based on our current employment and income. If we buy a home as a vacation or second are the interest rates higher? Is a higher down payment required?

Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldaII View Post
I'm not transferring jobs. I will looking for employment once there. It never occurred to me that this might be a problem. I just figured the loan approval could be based on our current employment and income. If we buy a home as a vacation or second are the interest rates higher? Is a higher down payment required?
It depends on your credit. Like I first stated I knew you did not have jobs. Go second home much easier if everything is in line the interest rate should not be that much different, If your credit is real good . You could also go the other way I mentioned. It can get done.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 PM

ok, I will look into it. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:47 AM

4 posts, read 103,983 times
This may be a little late to actually get a reply........

zelda, I would LOVE to know how this all turned out for you. I happen to be in a very similar situation and was thinking of also going the second home route. If you see this message, PLEASE let me know how you ended up making it work for you and what lender you used.

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:56 AM

To add to my previous post, I would appreciate any input from others about what to do in this situation. I am also a current renter who is planning on moving out of state in ~8 months. We want to get approved for a home loan based on our current income because I will be going to school and we may or may not be working jobs in our new location.

I have heard that it is ok to purchase a "second home" even though I am renting and have never previously owned a home. Is this true? If so, what kind of conditions should I expect, such as down payment, interest rate, etc.? Is stated income a better option?

Finally, are there legal or tax issues with this idea? In other words, is there a problem with strictly buying a second home, without divulging the intent to move into the 2nd home in 8 months, or letting them know any other information? If this all works, would I need to officially claim it as my primary residence once I moved in?

ANY information would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
To add to my previous post, I would appreciate any input from others about what to do in this situation. I am also a current renter who is planning on moving out of state in ~8 months. We want to get approved for a home loan based on our current income because I will be going to school and we may or may not be working jobs in our new location.

I have heard that it is ok to purchase a "second home" even though I am renting and have never previously owned a home. Is this true? If so, what kind of conditions should I expect, such as down payment, interest rate, etc.? Is stated income a better option?

Finally, are there legal or tax issues with this idea? In other words, is there a problem with strictly buying a second home, without divulging the intent to move into the 2nd home in 8 months, or letting them know any other information? If this all works, would I need to officially claim it as my primary residence once I moved in?

ANY information would be greatly appreciated!!
bump.

Can anyone please give some advice about my situation? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:42 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
You're asking for a home loan and will not have any income?

Whether it's a primary, secondary, or investment.....I think 99.9% of the mortgage lenders require a source of income!

If you plan to buy the home now...you will need to qualify with your rent...and the new mortgage amount. You may need to put at least 5-10% down...and have a high credit score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages