Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 07:36 AM

25 posts, read 97,515 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I applied for an FHA loan about three weeks ago, and finally yesterday the UW came back with an approval conditional upon us providing some additional documentation. I guess it took so long because we are getting pre-approved, and so don't have a specific home in mind.

Anyway, most of it was pretty standard, but one of the items the requested was "Documentation on number and age of any dependents." Isn't it illegal to ask that question? If they aren't going to use that as a basis for approval, then why would they ask about it? Is this standard?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 08:11 AM

333 posts, read 1,021,964 times
I didn't have to provide documentation, but yes, it's common to ask about dependents. Besides, isn't it all on your tax returns anyway? It's not a big deal.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:18 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Are you receiving child support? Child support must continue a minimum of 3 years to be included in income.

Are you obtaining any kind of first time homebuyer program?

There really are 101 reasons to ask the age of dependents. Maybe she/he is trying to document your children are older and you no longer have the expense of childcare.

Dependents are not a protected class. You need not disclose any alimony, support or public assistance, but if you do, it's up for documentation.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Other than it being an FHA loan, I am not applying for any government program. I don't have any children (or step-children) and am not planning on it, thus I don't receive or pay child support.

I don't mind answering the question, I just wonder why it is being asked. Since the Fair Housing Act says lenders cannot discriminate based upon family status, I just don't see any reason they would need/want to know this info.

Or, perhaps I'm just paranoid?!

Old 11-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Probably paranoid. It sounds like a big box canned condition.

I suspect you're mixing up what protected classes are and when; family status (or number of dependents) cannot be used for employment decisions, but they are used every day in mortgage loan decisions, one way or another. For example, a first time homebuyer program or a USDA loan has caps on the income, based on the number of dependents in a family. VA actually assigns a dollar amount for the number dependents when qualifying the Veteran for his mortgage loan.

It could also be as simple as the loan officer left off the number of dependents on the application or they have that condition on every loan.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
It could also be as simple as the loan officer left off the number of dependents on the application or they have that condition on every loan.
Turned out to be this I ended up asking the loan officer and he said he forgot to check the box.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,473 times
I've been approved by my underwriter with conditions. I recently sent some papers and to my down payment assistance program which works with my underwriter. I mistakenly sent my federal tax information not to the underwriter but to the DPA. I'm wondering can this kill my loan since she seen some things that can make my debt to ratio go up.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:59 PM

Are you saying you have unreimbursed business expenses? You can't be coy here, you need to provide as much information about how you screwed up or why you think you did. We need to know what you think you did......it may be nothing, or it could be trying to stuff the cat back in the bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages