Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think the appraiser is doing you favor -- you'd be NUTS to own the most expensive property in the area!
Exactly! Walk away now. Who knows, the sellers may come back to OP in a few more months if they haven't gotten any more offers and be willing to sell for the appraised price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:15 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times
Thanks everyone for the advice so far, you have been great! I am prepared to walk, sadly bookmarking rentals to call upon, and looking at other real estate ads just in case. Sadly, my one runner up house has been taken off the market, and the other is not budging on price, and actually looks to be 60K over assessment according to a few of the websites and owners have no budged on price in months (think I will take a pass at ending up in this situation again)! One thing is for sure - in the words of Donald Trump I am going to tell my buyers agent "Your Fired!" He's upset we went with a bank instead of his broker, and he reminds us EVERYTIME we talk to him...its getting old!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Exactly! Walk away now. Who knows, the sellers may come back to OP in a few more months if they haven't gotten any more offers and be willing to sell for the appraised price.
We'll I haven't heard yet from the sellers whether they are willing to negoiate, but if they don't - I am walking. I wonder if sellers can come back in a few months - has that ever happened to anyone?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 AM

683 posts, read 464,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
Sadly, my one runner up house has been taken off the market, and the other is not budging on price, and actually looks to be 60K over assessment according to a few of the websites and owners have no budged on price in months (think I will take a pass at ending up in this situation again)!
OK, here's where I think you are making your mistake...

Are you basing what you think a house is worth based on stupid sites like Zillow and the like? In our neighborhood, they have my house at the same price as a couple of my neighbors (30 year old homes). We have an open floor plan, new kitchen, new bathrooms, finished basement, etc. etc. The other homes have the same kitchens the builder put in during the 1970s. So, how can my house be valued or "appraised" at the same price as those. And I think that's what you are going on.

Now, for the house of yours that is $15K over the appraisal. Let me ask you this. Do you have to redo the kitchen? Do you have to redo the bathrooms? Do you have to replace the roof, airconditioning, heating, windows, etc. etc?

If you don't, if this house has been updated, go for it. Why settle for a lower house if you have to start replacing big ticket items in the near future.

I think you need to rethink this.

But again, only you know the real story of this house, we reader's don't.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
OK, here's where I think you are making your mistake...

Are you basing what you think a house is worth based on stupid sites like Zillow and the like? In our neighborhood, they have my house at the same price as a couple of my neighbors (30 year old homes). We have an open floor plan, new kitchen, new bathrooms, finished basement, etc. etc. The other homes have the same kitchens the builder put in during the 1970s. So, how can my house be valued or "appraised" at the same price as those. And I think that's what you are going on.

Now, for the house of yours that is $15K over the appraisal. Let me ask you this. Do you have to redo the kitchen? Do you have to redo the bathrooms? Do you have to replace the roof, airconditioning, heating, windows, etc. etc?

If you don't, if this house has been updated, go for it. Why settle for a lower house if you have to start replacing big ticket items in the near future.

I think you need to rethink this.

But again, only you know the real story of this house, we reader's don't.

That's a good point - kitchen and bathrooms fine, heating great as well as windows. Roof in about 5 years, attic ventilation system should prolong (moisture collecting in attic, which may be affecting a semi-newer roof - inspector recommended installing ventilation/fan), and A/C is in good shape but 10 years old. The big item that needs updating is electrical because they screwed up when doing an addition (not enough ground fault wires, and a crammed in breaker box, lacking the necessary GFI's). Also, minor issues like coliform in well - that can be fixed with new filtration system and shocking - about 5K in fixes, but nothing as expensive as a furnace (furnace cast iron and newer).

Old 11-29-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
We'll I haven't heard yet from the sellers whether they are willing to negoiate, but if they don't - I am walking. I wonder if sellers can come back in a few months - has that ever happened to anyone?
My friends bought a home in a very upscale Dallas neighborhood this time last year. LP was $1.1M and my friends low-balled in summer 2010 in the $800k's. Sellers rejected their offer. My friends moved on. In November or December, the sellers came back as they had not received ANY other offers in the months since my friends. They got the house for $899k- a bit over my friends' offer but way below asking.

If sellers get desperate, there's always a chance they'll revisit your offer. Or they many end up deciding to sell to someone else for $15k less once the "reality check" sets in. Another friend I know was squabbling about $20k on a $300k home (basically, the cost to replace a roof which was old and causing problems for appraisal and insurance). Sellers said no. My friend moved on and bought another home. She later found out the seller had sold to the next person making an offer for $20k less- not sure if seller lowered the list price or just finally realized he had to come down to the appraisal value if he wanted to ever sell the home.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
It doesn't hurt to check into the one you liked but is now off the market. My house is off the market until the Spring b/c I got tired of keeping it clean for a once-every-10-days showing. However if anyone who saw it last summer called, I would be receptive. My agent calls it a "pocket listing." She called the agents whose clients liked it but didn't offer to tell them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Well the verdict....the sellers are accepting the appraisal price for the house, so basically I got 15K off the price of the house. Now, I just hope nothing else sneaky comes up on us when we are trying to close...

Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 AM

That's great news! Hope closing goes well.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
That's great news! Hope closing goes well.
Thank you, hope so too - keeping fingers crossed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages