Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 PM

413 posts, read 832,675 times

Advertisements

I have seen LPMI charged as a flat fee up front and I have also seen it charged in the form of increased interest rate. Are these both considered LPMI?

I am thinking of a 30 year fixed with LPMI built into it. Basically paying an extra .375 for the LPMI. On a 300K loan this works to about an extra $1100 in interest. But the alternative is to pay $1950 per year in PMI. Yes the PMI will stop after 7 years or so, but I would probably have to remain in the home for 15 years or more to do better with PMI. That is unlikely to happen. We make more than 100K so no PMI deduction.

It seems on the other hand that if you pay the LPMI upfront you will do worst with the shortest term stay and best with longest term stay. So if you stay 3 years paying LPMI upfront will not be a good idea, but at 30 years its a great idea.

So it seems that traditional PMI falls between paying LPMI upfront and rolling in LPMI over 30years.

DO I understand this correct. I thought the lender pays a lump sum for LPMI upfront. If they roll it into the loan and I only pay the higher interest rate for one year, won't the lender lose a ton of money on the insurance policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 06:24 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,522 times
Seems you have a good understanding. LPMI is a great option for high earners due to MI not being tax deductible if income is too high as you stated.

You could also look into a first and second mortgage and pay no MI or LPMI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages