Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 PM

20 posts, read 138,923 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking to buy a home this year, We would like for both of our names to be on the deeds, but we are unsure if both of us have to qualify for an FHA loan? I'm currently unemployed and rebuilding my credit, but my fiance is fully qualified for the loan. We are questioning if we should get married before or after we buy our home. With us being first time home buyers, we are completly clueless about the loan process. Do I have to qualify for an FHA loan along with my fiance in order for my name to be on the deeds as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
The mortgage and the deed are two different things. Your fiance can apply for the mortgage in his own name and the deed for the house can be in both your names. For his protection, you could sign a legal agreement stating that you are responsible for the mortgage as well as him.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
The mortgage and the deed are two different things. Your fiance can apply for the mortgage in his own name and the deed for the house can be in both your names. ...
Technically that's true, but I think most lenders will want the deed of trust to only be in the name of the persons taking the mortgage. Of course, after it closes, you could always add her to the deed, with a risk of triggering a due on sale clause in the mortgage agreement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due-on-sale_clause

Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
If you live in a community property state, it's not going to matter because it would automatically be split, unless you sign some kind of pre-nup eliminating it from community property.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Technically that's true, but I think most lenders will want the deed of trust to only be in the name of the persons taking the mortgage. Of course, after it closes, you could always add her to the deed, with a risk of triggering a due on sale clause in the mortgage agreement.

Due-on-sale clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That is what I meant. Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Buy the home before getting married. If you are married your debt will be considered even if you are not on the loan or using your credit. At least that is what we were told in Arizona. My wife has no credit (sounds better when it means no debt) so we only used my credit.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:26 PM

581 posts, read 1,243,783 times
what if you want to use your partner's income, but they dont have enough credit history or isnt at their job for a long period, would the mortgage company still use that person's info to better qualify for the mortgage?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:48 PM

20 posts, read 138,923 times
Thanks everyone for your replies, but we are moving to Nevada, which is a community property state. If my fiance purchases the house before we are married, doesn't that make him the sole owner automatically since the purchase wouldn't be made as a married couple? Like, if we were to marry before the purchasing a home we would equally own the property? Also, isn't the process for an FHA loan different? From my understanding, my fiance applied for the loan as a single man and was approved, but if we applied together my credit would be checked for any debt I may have, but my credit score wouldn't have an impact? For an FHA loan if my name isn't on the mortgage it can't be on the title? Please correct me if i'm wrong. I'm new to all of this.

Last edited by newlywed91; 01-12-2012 at 04:01 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 06:55 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
what if you want to use your partner's income, but they dont have enough credit history or isnt at their job for a long period, would the mortgage company still use that person's info to better qualify for the mortgage?
I dont think so. Our loan was FHA and we only used my income and credit but still had to take her debt into consideration. She has no debt and I have very little, student and a car loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages