U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 01:44 PM

86 posts, read 236,092 times

Advertisements

Im thinking of moving so the real estate people said get a loan preapproved,sounds ok,so ive went to one place so far on the net,Colorado Federal and they said ok your approved for a straight loan,no down 30 years at 6.4 for 70.000,then called back and said your also good for a va loan zero down at like 6.2.so my question is shouldnt i get some paperwork stating this and get this all locked in?the loan officer said when i find the property i want to give her the address and then she would do the paperwork.also they would only do the loan if it was more than 50.000 and a 30 year fixed rate would have no down,and i should be able to put the closing costs into the loan,sound right?im thinking of applying at more places and i like the va loan to avoid paying pmi.any advise ,thoughts would be appreciated.and yes im looking for a cheaper home in a small town in a different state.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 09:45 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,685,353 times
the lower the loan amount...the higher the rate on most loans.

you cant lock in a rate if you dont have a subject property picked out.
normally, they will require a signed purchase agreement.
SOME lenders can lock w/out this info, but hard to find!

If you're approved at 6.4% I would ask what the PMI is...how many points you are paying etc. Same thing with the VA.

If you have provided a full application...and signing the application...

any lender will need to provide you a good faith estimate by federal law

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron17571 View Post
Im thinking of moving so the real estate people said get a loan preapproved,sounds ok,so ive went to one place so far on the net,Colorado Federal and they said ok your approved for a straight loan,no down 30 years at 6.4 for 70.000,then called back and said your also good for a va loan zero down at like 6.2.so my question is shouldnt i get some paperwork stating this and get this all locked in?the loan officer said when i find the property i want to give her the address and then she would do the paperwork.also they would only do the loan if it was more than 50.000 and a 30 year fixed rate would have no down,and i should be able to put the closing costs into the loan,sound right?im thinking of applying at more places and i like the va loan to avoid paying pmi.any advise ,thoughts would be appreciated.and yes im looking for a cheaper home in a small town in a different state.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages