Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 07:19 PM

10 posts, read 22,188 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of taking the plunge of real estate ownership. I have an offer in for a newer condo (2009) and I believe it will be going to contract soon. One thing I'm worried about is how I will provide financing (30 year conventional) for the purchase given the Freddie Mac / Fannie Mae requirements that most lenders have. I'm intending to put 20-25% down and I have a 787 FICO score, cash reserves and 6.5 years of employment with the same company with a comfortable salary. While I think my personal finances wont be a problem, I'm worried that most condominiums in my area are not Fannie/Freddie approved.

The condo that I'm interested in is the last one owned by the developer. However, the developer created two buildings and it would appear one is rented and the other is full ownership. I think this might disqualify the eligibility requirements that are imposed for conforming loans.

With all that said, the real question is how do financially qualified buyers get financing for a condo that don't meet the stipulations of Fannie / Freddie? I'm to understand that approx 90% of lenders follow these guidelines?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patbaker82 View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of taking the plunge of real estate ownership. I have an offer in for a newer condo (2009) and I believe it will be going to contract soon. One thing I'm worried about is how I will provide financing (30 year conventional) for the purchase given the Freddie Mac / Fannie Mae requirements that most lenders have. I'm intending to put 20-25% down and I have a 787 FICO score, cash reserves and 6.5 years of employment with the same company with a comfortable salary. While I think my personal finances wont be a problem, I'm worried that most condominiums in my area are not Fannie/Freddie approved.

The condo that I'm interested in is the last one owned by the developer. However, the developer created two buildings and it would appear one is rented and the other is full ownership. I think this might disqualify the eligibility requirements that are imposed for conforming loans.

With all that said, the real question is how do financially qualified buyers get financing for a condo that don't meet the stipulations of Fannie / Freddie? I'm to understand that approx 90% of lenders follow these guidelines?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Patrick
I think a lot of the financing that is available in this situation is no financing, all cash. My guess is the only people who would be willing to finance would be those who plan on holding onto the note, maybe a credit union, private investor or small community bank?

I would be vary wary buying a condo in most areas in this country.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
You even have to worry about how many people are overdue with their association dues, and how many are vacant to get the loan. It's easier
to secure financing on a house these days.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:02 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
You might also look for a bank owned condo owned by Fannie Mae that qualifies for HomePath financing. They do their own financing and it doesn't have some of the FHA rules.

Also talk to your mortgage broker about non-FHA loans if you have 20% to put down. Some conventional lenders have less strict qualifications (but ask which!). Also even with 20% down on a property, FHA loans will charge PMI.

Good luck - and don't forget to look at houses that have similar costs (maybe higher price but lower condo/HOA fees so monthly payment is the same)

Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
You might also look for a bank owned condo owned by Fannie Mae that qualifies for HomePath financing. They do their own financing and it doesn't have some of the FHA rules.

Also talk to your mortgage broker about non-FHA loans if you have 20% to put down. Some conventional lenders have less strict qualifications (but ask which!). Also even with 20% down on a property, FHA loans will charge PMI.

Good luck - and don't forget to look at houses that have similar costs (maybe higher price but lower condo/HOA fees so monthly payment is the same)

How do you know if the condo is owned by Fannie Mae?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
How do you know if the condo is owned by Fannie Mae?
Can you access county appraiser in your area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages