Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM

906 posts, read 1,745,767 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to hear from a few lenders/brokers on this . . .

If I'm doing an FHA refi from 30 year to 15 year where the LTV will be < 90% but > 78%, are the following statements all true?

(1) Monthly MI will be required, but only as long as the loan is > 78% LTV.

(2) After the loan hits 78% LTV, the MI for the monthly payment is immediately dropped by the lender.

(3) There is no 5-year or other minimum term for paying MI.

(4) The LTV will always be determined off of the appraisal used for the refinance. Neither the original purchase price nor any subsequent appraisals will bear on the LTV determination.

If anyone can confirm and/or correct my understanding here, please let me know.

(BTW, I know some here may wonder why I'm not considering non-FHA loans. My specific situation makes the FHA more attractive than conventional, due to housing type, interest rates, and the refund of initial mortgage insurance paid for original loan. And I don't have enough for a downpayment to get it down to 80%.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,016,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
I'm hoping to hear from a few lenders/brokers on this . . .

If I'm doing an FHA refi from 30 year to 15 year where the LTV will be < 90% but > 78%, are the following statements all true?

(1) Monthly MI will be required, but only as long as the loan is > 78% LTV.

(2) After the loan hits 78% LTV, the MI for the monthly payment is immediately dropped by the lender.

(3) There is no 5-year or other minimum term for paying MI.

(4) The LTV will always be determined off of the appraisal used for the refinance. Neither the original purchase price nor any subsequent appraisals will bear on the LTV determination.

If anyone can confirm and/or correct my understanding here, please let me know.

(BTW, I know some here may wonder why I'm not considering non-FHA loans. My specific situation makes the FHA more attractive than conventional, due to housing type, interest rates, and the refund of initial mortgage insurance paid for original loan. And I don't have enough for a downpayment to get it down to 80%.)

the answer to each is yes. Also, the MI on a 15year amortization when under 90% is .25. So, if the loan amount is $200,000, the mortgage insurance is $500 per year. This would add (500\12) $41.66 to your payment. If ltv is over 90%, then it would double.

Also, any FHA mortgage with a term greater than 15 years does require that MI be paid a minimum of 5 years regardless of loan to value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages