Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 04:03 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are building a new house and are due to close on it September 19. We haven't locked in our interest rate because I've been hearing the fed is supposed to meet September 18 and will probably be lowering the rate. Our mortgage broker told us today that even if they do lower the rate on September 18, we won't get it because we are required to lock our rate in 4 days before closing. I'm angry about this because if the rate lowers before our closing, I want the lower rate! Is there anything we can do about this?

Last edited by sbd78; 09-06-2007 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 07:49 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,258 times
Don't worry about it.
Even if the Fed does lower the Prime rate, it has no direct relation to what your mortgage rate will be. Indirectly you'll be lucky to see a 1/8th of a drop in rate, and usually this drop is seen BEFORE the fed meets in anticipation of the rate drop. Now what do you think will happen if the fed goes against expectations and does nothing? Mortgage rates may go up.
So again, Don't worry about it. Lock in your rate for less than 14 days to get the absolute best rate, and enjoy your new home.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:52 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
if the FED lower the discount rate or the fed funds rate...i'm sure the mortgage rates WILL GO UP!

when the government rescues the economy, the consumers gain more confidence.

and you know what happens when they gain confidence!!!

they spend more!

which makes more profits....which makes the market go higher...which makes the bonds go down......the bonds affect the mortgage rates!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:16 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
My husband and I are building a new house and are due to close on it September 19. We haven't locked in our interest rate because I've been hearing the fed is supposed to meet September 18 and will probably be lowering the rate. Our mortgage broker told us today that even if they do lower the rate on September 18, we won't get it because we are required to lock our rate in 4 days before closing. I'm angry about this because if the rate lowers before our closing, I want the lower rate! Is there anything we can do about this?
You'd be really angry if rates went up after you locked, and that meant you were forced to have the higher rate!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:01 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
rates dropped today.....i would lock today if you waited this long

Old 09-07-2007, 09:27 AM

85 posts, read 208,260 times
Conventional wisdom:

The conventional idea is that 10 year yields are similarly attractive to investors as are 30 year mortgage notes. The concept being that most homeowners only hold a mortgage note for about 9 years before a refi or a sale..... and that roughly matches a 10 year note.

Since the 10 years are backed by the USA and mortgages are backed by individual property/credit, the mortgage were usually 2 points higher to reflect risk.

As we all know in the last 5-7 years , holding a mortgage note 9 years is probably not the case.

That +2 percent add-on is only a guideline. Depending on other factors, it might be as high as +4 to attract investors or as low as +.5 (like during the 01-06 boom).

I think mtg rates will be very sticky. Even as the 10 year note rate plummets recently. The + spread will widen as lenders/investors want a little more return for the more risky mortgage choice.

That being said, you can still follow the 10 year yield rate and get a relatively decent idea of mortgage rates...not perfect but general idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages