Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 AM

78 posts, read 235,108 times

Advertisements

For a background, see here //www.city-data.com/forum/mortg...l#post22286902

and here

//www.city-data.com/forum/mortg...i-closing.html

TL;DR version is that i am about to close on a refi thought the HARP program with Citi. When we started this process we went into harp believing through Zillo or whatever that site is called that our house was under water. That site SUCKS.

Part of the process called for citi to require us to get an appraisal. When we got the appraisal back we found that we were NOT under water, but in fact above water by about 40K over the loan value. Loan value right now 306, house appraised at 350.

Now, Citibank wants to close next wednesday. Loan details are 4.5 30 year fixed, down from 5.875. We will save as of right now close to 500 bucks on the refi, which is for sure a win.

However, by looking around i am seeing that on various sites i could get a 4.1 APR through quicken loans or other sites.

Should i stop the process and shop around some more, or should i stick with the refi and stay at 4.5 percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Does that 4.5% rate include them paying for closing costs? If not, that seems high, but I don't recall you saying what your credit score is. Not sure if you know, but Citi is no longer going to do mortgages. They're finishing up what they've already started, and they're not taking on new loans. With that, they could careless about you getting the best deal right now as they aren't worried about repeat business or referrals. I just had a buyer pull her loan from them because they changed her rep again as everyone is getting moved around or laid off from the mortgage origination department.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 AM

No, we have about 7K in closing costs that are getting rolled into the mortgage.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,145,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham1010 View Post
For a background, see here //www.city-data.com/forum/mortg...l#post22286902

and here

//www.city-data.com/forum/mortg...i-closing.html

TL;DR version is that i am about to close on a refi thought the HARP program with Citi. When we started this process we went into harp believing through Zillo or whatever that site is called that our house was under water. That site SUCKS.

Part of the process called for citi to require us to get an appraisal. When we got the appraisal back we found that we were NOT under water, but in fact above water by about 40K over the loan value. Loan value right now 306, house appraised at 350.

Now, Citibank wants to close next wednesday. Loan details are 4.5 30 year fixed, down from 5.875. We will save as of right now close to 500 bucks on the refi, which is for sure a win.

However, by looking around i am seeing that on various sites i could get a 4.1 APR through quicken loans or other sites.

Should i stop the process and shop around some more, or should i stick with the refi and stay at 4.5 percent.
Definitely shop around. Seems high, but we don't know all the specifics. I wouldn't use Quicken or Lending Tree or any online crap. Go to a local lender (bank, credit union, broker).

Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,020,507 times
I agree with Tim, shop around. Ask friends or relatives the name of a broker they used. You usually get the worst deal when you deal directly with any big bank.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
I agree with Tim, shop around. Ask friends or relatives the name of a broker they used. You usually get the worst deal when you deal directly with any big bank.
I was thinking of that, however my big concern is that

A: the new lender won't accept the value of the house as given by citi's appraiser, and they send out a new appraiser who says 'screw, you are under water'.

B: that by doing this is am going to be only saving a ltitle bit more a month. It was a lot of effort and mental strain to get to even this point.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:02 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Then you've already answered your question. You don't want to start over, so why ask us to make the decision for you. Close on the loan, and save your $500 a month, and move on.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,207,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham1010 View Post
I was thinking of that, however my big concern is that

A: the new lender won't accept the value of the house as given by citi's appraiser, and they send out a new appraiser who says 'screw, you are under water'.

B: that by doing this is am going to be only saving a ltitle bit more a month. It was a lot of effort and mental strain to get to even this point.
Appraisors should be using similar data--closed houses in the area. I can understand some 2 or 3% difference or even may be 5% but over 12.5% from one to the other? That looks to me a lot of difference.

What make you believe that you are underwater and start the process as such in the first place? Just zEstimate? I mean I can easily guess what the value of my house is by just looking on the homes that sold in my neighborhood, I don't need any zstimate.

Did you see the appraisal yourself? I just can't imagine that much percentage change from two appraisors. But I am not appaisor and I don't know your specific situation. You only can answer.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages