Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM

9 posts, read 69,271 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are trying to get a vacation a home in MI. We were told that we could not proceed with the loan because of the debt to ratio being to high. We are doing the loan under my wives name because my credit is shot. We currently lease a condo, which I pay the rent. We were told it was denied because both of our names are on the lease and because it is a marital home. Although I have proof that I pay the rent, they aren't willing to proceed with the loan. Does this sound right? Any and all input is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Makes sense to me - read this:

Quote:
Michigan is an equitable distribution state. This means that with regard to Michigan divorce assets, anything the spouses had pre-marriage usually will not be included in Michigan divorce assets or Michigan divorce property. The only property that comes into the court's distribution is that which is legally classified as property of the marriage subject to Michigan case law.

What is considered Marital and Non-Marital Property?

Marital property consists of all items acquired during a marriage.
Michigan Property Division | MI Settling Disputes for Marital and Non-Marital Divorce Assets and Debts | DivorceLawFirms.com

Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 PM

One thing I would need to mention is that we live in CA, but we don't own any property here or anywhere else. Not sure if that makes a difference or not

Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Um, not to be snotty, but maybe you should fix your credit first before applying for a vacation home? (Sorry, it's hard to say that without sounding snotty.)

Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniax99 View Post
Me and my wife are trying to get a vacation a home in MI. We were told that we could not proceed with the loan because of the debt to ratio being to high. We are doing the loan under my wives name because my credit is shot. We currently lease a condo, which I pay the rent. We were told it was denied because both of our names are on the lease and because it is a marital home. Although I have proof that I pay the rent, they aren't willing to proceed with the loan. Does this sound right? Any and all input is appreciated.

Yes, that is right. If it shows up on her credit report, then they will count the debt against her. What my company does in this case, would be to ask for 12 months cancelled checks showing that you are paying for it. But if that money is coming from a joint account, then it won't work.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 PM

no problem, but the credit isn't the reason it was denied. We have the down payment and everything else is good, except that we were told that because she is on the lease they have to place the rent amount into her monthly debt, although I am the one paying the rent.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Yes, that is right. If it shows up on her credit report, then they will count the debt against her. What my company does in this case, would be to ask for 12 months cancelled checks showing that you are paying for it. But if that money is coming from a joint account, then it won't work.
I told her that I would provide all the cashed checks she needed. My account is not a joint account. So that baffled me because I thought the exact thing you mentioned.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniax99 View Post
no problem, but the credit isn't the reason it was denied. We have the down payment and everything else is good, except that we were told that because she is on the lease they have to place the rent amount into her monthly debt, although I am the one paying the rent.
oh ok, I realized after I posted that it was a rental. The only other thing I can suggest is trying to add you to the loan. How bad is your credit? Do you have any major late payments in the past 12 months? Or late real estate payments in the last 24?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
oh ok, I realized after I posted that it was a rental. The only other thing I can suggest is trying to add you to the loan. How bad is your credit? Do you have any major late payments in the past 12 months? Or late real estate payments in the last 24?
Its pretty bad. It would drop her score way down.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:20 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
So if her name is on the mortgage, why isnt the loan officer combining your income as well? They are able to do that even though you are not a mortgagee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages