Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM

14,450 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
other than the fees being on the high side compared to a regular mortgage, why?

I had a reverse mortgage rep in my office the other day who stated the upfront fees have gone way down. They used to charge a 2% origination fee and she said that fee is now gone.
So, what are the fees, or interest, or other costs?
The AARP video of a couple showed their fees to borrow were $9,000.

Would anyone know what specific items make up the fees?

You'd have to watch this video to verify the numbers.
Their house appraised for $82,500, loan was $47,560 and fees of $9000.
What You Should Know About Reverse Mortgages, Inside E Street

Last edited by howard555; 03-09-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

There are not going to be set fees across the nation. Just like a regular mortgage it varies greatly between states as far as costs go. Percentage wise, the costs will always be substantially higher percentage wise on a small loan compared to a larger one (and yes I would call a $47k loan very small). This is true whether it is a regular mortgage or a reverse.

I am guessing a 3rd party like AARP may not have a clue as to what the fees are. Only an actual reverse mortgage lender would have the true numbers.

Last edited by TimtheGuy; 03-09-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:

In general terms, I am sure the fees consist of appraisal, title fees (title insurance, closing fee, title search, abstract search, name search, special assessment search) and then the county costs to record a mortgage which vary greatly. There is probably some admin fee as these mortgages often involve a line of credit or annuity type payments and maybe they have to monitor if the borrower is still alive and living in the home. Probably some junk fees like some doc prep or underwriting too.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I would rather camp in one room with my kids and carry a note on a house that I own free and clean, or downsize to a small studio apartment.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I would rather camp in one room with my kids and carry a note on a house that I own free and clean, or downsize to a small studio apartment.
That's great. Many people would not want to take that route when they have another option (myself included).

Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 PM

48 posts, read 138,357 times
Quote:
A video on AARP gave an example. A couple's house was appraised for about $83,000.
The got a loan of about $45,000 and $9,000 went to fees. That's right at 20% in fees.

Those numbers are accurate if the company is charging an origination fee. Most companies do not charge an origination fee.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:46 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
My mother's friend did a reverse mortgage on her home about 6 or 7 yrs ago. I only have a little bit of knowledge about it but it seems to me the bank probably got screwed. Im surprised banks are still even doing this. My mom's friend is single with no kids. She was struggling financially so she did the reverse mortgage. her home was appraised for 40k and they gave her 20k. Seemed like a bad deal at the time however real estate tanked big time in her area. Her street is now littered with empty foreclosed homes. When they do sell, they go for around 5 grand. I guess my mom's friend made out.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
here is why.
u can always borrow against the home and then sell later, or u can then later pay off or let it ride--- lots of options.
this is not true of borrowing against the home in case of reverse mortgage. u can no longer convey the property because it is no longer truly yours in a reverse mortgage.
also reverse mortgage puts a limit on what u can or cannot do with the house structurally after u sign. the chance of adding a room or altering existing space and then renting rooms out is gone after u sign reverse mortgage.
reverse mortgage is a one way trip. google it.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 AM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
I read a definition of a reverse mortgage. It is a loan against the equity in the house and paid back after death, when the house is sold.
I have 100% equity in my house.
Am I eligible for a reverse mortgage?
How to get a loan against the value of my house?
Yes, you could, but you probably shouldn't.
(I know several people who work in finance, and have heard it is a really
bad idea.)

Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
here is why.
u can always borrow against the home and then sell later, or u can then later pay off or let it ride--- lots of options.
this is not true of borrowing against the home in case of reverse mortgage. u can no longer convey the property because it is no longer truly yours in a reverse mortgage.
also reverse mortgage puts a limit on what u can or cannot do with the house structurally after u sign. the chance of adding a room or altering existing space and then renting rooms out is gone after u sign reverse mortgage.
reverse mortgage is a one way trip. google it.
Of course the home is still the borrowers when they have a reverse mortgage, just as much as my home is mine even though I have a conventional mortgage on it. Of course you can still sell your home if you have a reverse mortgage...just like a regular mortgage the reverse mortgage balance would have to be paid off to sell. Of course you can pay off the reverse mortgage, just like you can a regular mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages