Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 04:49 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Low earning friends just stopped that were looking at very low priced condos in SC.
The agent told them there was some government loan they could get with extremely easy terms and low rates that included the feature that, if they sold at a profit in the future, they would then be obligated to pay off the loan,as is usual, but also have to include any profit realized.
They did not get the name of this program or many pertinent details.
Is there some such thing?
It sounded kinda hinky to me but I admittedly don't know everything (shhh, don't repeat that admission please)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
I have heard of programs like this but they are local and vary state to state, county to county. I have seen them used for specific condos or townhomes within a building. They are sort of like Section 8 type govt assitance programs.

They all have different names but essentially are the same program with slightly different terms. The one thing is that is absolutely true is that if you decide to sell, there is no profit realized by the home owner. It goes straight to the program that sponsored the purchase.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:31 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,994 times
We have a program like this in my county. I think it's limited to county employees who are first time buyers. New builders have to proffer one or more properties in developments they are building. The county offers these properties at huge discounts but when the person sells they have to sell to someone else in the program, so no profit is realized.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:25 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
We also have a similar program in Manatee County, FL. You can see more about it here: Manatee County Government - Downpayment Assistance

It is a block grant as I understand it and the money only lasts so long each year.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 AM

Thanks so much all of you.
That was enough for me to find information on the applicable program for the specific area.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:15 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
These are wonderful programs that give individuals opportunities to buy where they normally could not. I am helping one such family that is selling back their property to the program and buying their move up home (new construction). Even though they've been there a while (9 yrs), they're making a modest (11K) profit and recycing the unit back into the program. The only problem with the programs is how hard they are to get into.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:28 AM

If I have accessed the correct information, one must already be approved for a mortgage by usual standards.
As is not unusual when first approaching a real estate company, this couple neglected to mention they have a repo and a few late CC payments in their 'recent' history.
Even minus that information, I'm a bit surprised the Realtor has been spending much effort on them since they have a property to sell and have not eve listed it yet.
As well, they are from another state and would be moving without a secure job.
I do hope I have saved somebody some time but giving them some advice before continuing.....like,go home from this trip, pay off the repo balance, sell their place,stash any proceeds, move to SC,rent and get a solid job first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages