U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 AM

3,133 posts, read 10,104,815 times

Advertisements

So, we bought a house 3 years ago that is in a High Risk zone for flooding. Not sure why we still went through in buying the house, probably because we loved the house and lot, got caught up in the moment of buying our first house. Should put 60% of the blame on our realator that made the entire 6% comission (represented both seller and buyer) for not putting his arm around us and telling us not to buy it. Can't go back now. It's high risk because of a drainage ditch behind the house.

Anyways, we went through with it because we bought Homeowners Catastrophe Insurance Trust (HCIT) that is underwritten through Lloyds of London. It cost us $750/year to insure building and contents up to $250k. Much better than the FEMA insurance which is close to $3,000. I don't mind paying the $750, which covers us for earthquakes, flood and whatever else.

So now we are refinancing to a 20year/4% mortgage and our broker is saying he's heard catastrophe insurance may not be acceptable to his lenders. He is still checking on it, but if he comes back saying I need the 3x more expensive flood insurance, then I'm not refinancing. It's not worht it. This is the same broker/bank we used on the original loan, which they sold to Countrywide, who then sold it to Chase over 2 years ago. I haven't heard from Chase that HCIT isn't acceptable.

Anyone have experience with this?

Note to others: NEVER buy a house on a high risk flood zone. What a headache. Probably be stuck with this house forever, maybe just end up renting it out and being an "investment" property. lol. Oh well, it is what it is. /rant
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 PM

19,864 posts, read 59,904,182 times
Some times you just can't help it. I lived in New Orleans/Metairie for close to 40 yrs. BAck then, the national flood insurance was not very expensive.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 PM

144 posts, read 328,284 times
Hi - So, is the entire property in the flood zone, or just part of it? I'm asking because we're looking at a lot that seems to be 2/3 in the flood plain. We would of course build on the 1/3 that is not. Thanks, Mark

Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM

3,133 posts, read 10,104,815 times
The bank finally approved HCIT Flood insurance, so the refinance should close in a couple days. Wooo!

FYI - I pay $750/year for HCIT to cover $240,000 for building and stuff. Even covers earthquake damage

The normal flood insurance could cost almost $3,000/year!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,251 times
Hi,
So I'm at 6.25% and want to go refinance my house at a rate of 4.25%. I do pay flood insurance through FEMA. I want to know if I refinance, can I keep my old flood policy or are they gonna make me renew that to?

Old 07-13-2015, 06:42 AM

8,206 posts, read 20,334,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydung617 View Post
Hi,
So I'm at 6.25% and want to go refinance my house at a rate of 4.25%. I do pay flood insurance through FEMA. I want to know if I refinance, can I keep my old flood policy or are they gonna make me renew that to?
You should be fine. In most cases it will stay in place, in a few cases, the policy will renew at the table.

What many are finding since they purchased, FEMA redrew the flood maps that now includes many properties not previously in a flood zone. Much of their refinance savings is now going towards flood coverage. (There is a way to contest that, Google "elevation certificate)."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages