U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,985,966 times

Advertisements

Hi all, hoping some of you mortgage experts can throw me some info!

Recently did a cross country relo for work and turned our primary residence into a rental, found great tenants who are signed up for a 2 year lease. Meanwhile we are in a 6 month rental in our new city and thinking about looking to buy a house in the upcoming fall/winter market.

So my question is, with our other property now set as a rental with a two year lease in hand and 20% equity will a mortgage co even look at us for another purchase?

Last time I looked into this (over a year ago) the lenders were running scared and demanding that the "first" property have at least 30% equity for fear of the owners buying a new house and walking away from the old. Have things eased up since then?

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 02:50 PM

8,433 posts, read 14,546,272 times
I am in the process of doing something similar -- found a house in the neighboring town that I wanted to buy but definitely didn't want to sell my current house in this market so decided to rent it out. I have excellent credit, income, job history, etc. and basically no debt besides my current mortgage, so my lender didn't have a problem. Equity in my current house wasn't an issue (no appraisal needed -- I probably have 25% equity in that house, being conservative as banks are now) -- all they required was that I have a signed lease for at least a year (which would start within 30 days after closing on the new house) AND a cancelled check for the security deposit. They also only count 75% of rental income (even with a year's lease), which means the remaining 25% has to be included as a debt in my debt-to-income ratios. Since I have basically no other debt, it wasn't an issue for me, although it could have been if I had had a car loan, credit cards, etc.

It may depend on where you are. Where my current house is, there's a strong rental market, which may be why they count 75% of rental income from the start. I've heard from others on this board that they've had to have a year's worth of income before ANY of it counts. That would have made it impossible for me to buy the new house, so I am glad I didn't have to deal with that rule.

You might just call a few lenders in your area to see what their policies are. So much of buying a house is local!

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:10 PM

3,102 posts, read 3,237,584 times
We are doing this for the second time now. Both times our mortgage company required a signed lease (can only count 75% of it as income) and six months of saving in reserve to cover both properties mortgage payments (you can use up to 50% of your 401K to cover this if you don't have cash in the bank).

20% down was also required for the new house plus closing costs.

We had no other debt besides our mortgages so YMMV. Being able to buy a new home without selling the old one is a very good position to be in at the moment! Good luck!

[edit] Forgot to mention that we had over 35% equity in our first house and about 24% in our second home (only owned it for a few years). I can't remember what the lenders requirements were, but obviously we have less than 30% in our second home and it didn't cause a problem with our lender providing a third mortgage.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 PM

Ah, I'd forgotten about the 6 months' reserves. (Colorado, thanks for the reminder!) They counted my 401(k), which honestly I thought was kind of odd as I would NEVER use it. But it made it very easy to qualify.

I got a 3.125% mortgage with only 5% down (it's a 10-year ARM, hence the low rate, but I plan to pay extra every month so at the end of those 10 years it should be close to being paid off). If I sold my current house, I would have been able to afford a much larger down payment, but as I wrote I don't want to sell in this market. I think I got a 5%-down-payment loan because of low debt & high credit score.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:11 PM

3,102 posts, read 3,237,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
They counted my 401(k), which honestly I thought was kind of odd as I would NEVER use it. But it made it very easy to qualify.
I wonder if the bank can get their hands on it if you default on your loan? There's probably some legally binding fine print. IIRC you can get access to 50% of your 401K by claiming financial hardship.

Lets hope we never have to find out the hard way!

Looks like you got a pretty nice interest rate there. Our is significantly higher as it's fixed for 30 years, but it's still under 4% so I'm not complaining!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 PM

The interest rate was/is a special deal ... that particular loan includes $2,500 off closing costs as well. That's why I went with it instead of a 30-year fixed, which would normally be my preference. I hate paying PMI, but given that I got just about everything else I wanted, I am OK with it.

Hmmm, maybe the bank can get the 401(k) if I were to default. Didn't think of that. My job is very secure and I plan to stay here for 20+ years so hopefully no worries!

To the OP: have you spoken with any local lenders? I did online searches, then called several. The one I ended up going with is local, which I am happy about.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,985,966 times
Thanks for the info, I'm encouraged and the 401K bit is a nice easter egg that I hadn't considered!

Well I'll keep hoarding money and get in touch with some lenders.

Thanks again.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 PM

11,816 posts, read 18,926,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

Hmmm, maybe the bank can get the 401(k) if I were to default.
No they can't. It just shows you have money in your name that you could access in the event of a job loss/other tough life event -- thereby making you less likely to default on the loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages