Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,131 times

Advertisements

We want to buy a house for our daughter who is on social security and not have it be investment properity. I heard that we could be a co-signer and it would be in her name. She is on a fixed income with her social security payments. Will lenders let her apply for the loan with that being her only income? She has no credit score but we have excellent credit and can afford to pay the mortgage payments for her. I just don't want to pay 20% down payment and wipe out my savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Never co-sign for anyone. Period.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Don't do it and never, ever, no matter what the situation co-sign for anyone especially a relative.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
I agree with the others that co-signing is not a good idea 99% of the time, but those situations are (I think) when someone else is saying that THEY will pay the mortgage, they just want you as a back-up and "of course we'll never need you to make any payments." THAT'S when there can and often will be problems later.

In your case, you will be making the payments from the start and are fine with that. So it actually sounds like you want to buy a second home and let your daughter live in it rent-free. The problem there is that I think most financial institutions want relatively large down payments on second homes (as is the case with investment properties -- where I live, banks want 25% down on investment properties). So you may be stuck with having to make a large down payment.

Call a few financial institutions in your area and ask them!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:10 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
IMHO this is a real bad idea. If you do not have a large investment portfolio to fall back on you may find yourself cash poor in the future. In todays economy income flow can be altered at a drop of the hat, there are no guarantees.

Never co-sign for anyone for anything.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,237,972 times
I would not co-sign either. Asking for trouble, and you may be thinking "she won't do me that way"...yes, people do and will. Relative or not.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooter13 View Post

We want to .......

I just don't want to pay 20% down payment and wipe out my savings.
Sounds like what you want and what you can afford are not the same thing.

If your savings are equal to 20% of the downstroke, it makes no sense for you to consider buying a property for your daughter under any circumstances. Cosigning a loan is never a good idea.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Everyone seems to be concerned about the daughter not paying (along the lines of, "you might think your daughter won't default, but you never know"), but it sounds to me like the OP is planning to pay the mortgage FOR the daughter from the start, so the usual "don't-co-sign-under-any-circumstances" might not apply.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Everyone seems to be concerned about the daughter not paying (along the lines of, "you might think your daughter won't default, but you never know"), but it sounds to me like the OP is planning to pay the mortgage FOR the daughter from the start, so the usual "don't-co-sign-under-any-circumstances" might not apply.
I agree, it wasn't clear what the intent was in the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Sounds like what you want and what you can afford are not the same thing.

If your savings are equal to 20% of the downstroke, it makes no sense for you to consider buying a property for your daughter under any circumstances.
But this is why I wouldn't do it.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,131 times
Default loan for daughter

Thank you everyone for your posts. I finally have found a way to buy a house with a FHA loan. You put 3.5% down, we own it and it's not a second home but a primary resident without the 20% down as with a conventional loan. FHA was setup so that people with low incomes can buy homes. This is really good news, if now we could find one in our price range. I have learned alot about mortgages and I'm so glad I found out FHA, I was ready to give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages