Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 12:36 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,883 times

Advertisements

When I went to contract on my new home (in July), I was able to get $35 off the purchase price if I used their mortgage company. Well, I just got a flyer in the mail from teh builder saying it is offerring $55-75K in incentives if you use thier mortgage company. Can I still get this better incentive even though our contract is already signed?????
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 01:35 PM

510 posts, read 3,201,133 times
Basically the housing market is still taking a hit, and they have too much inventory. First thing you do is just simply ask them for the matching incentives. Many builders just give it up right then and there. If they say no, then you need to know how much your earnest money is and how much you could lose... granted at this point you don't completely pull out, but a very believable bluff could be quite important. In addition to saying that if they don't offer you the same incentives you'll pull out, you should have another builder in mind. It's best if it's their direct competition, assuming they have one. You don't have to have tons of details, just be sure you can quote some information on the competing development.

Also, keep in mind that advertisement you hold in your hand could be considered binding. So don't lose it... you may need it in the future.

10-1 though if you show them the advert. and ask for the extra incentive they will just give it to you.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseJeff View Post
10-1 though if you show them the advert. and ask for the extra incentive they will just give it to you.
I certainly hope so, because I am too tired to start fighting with them.

Wish me luck!!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:37 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
LUCK LUCK LUCK!

Take 'em for all you can get!

(we're getting ready to sign a sales contract with a builder - I very much sympathize)

Old 09-16-2007, 10:06 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,118 times
I would certainly ask. But I would also compare apples to apples. Check to see what kind of financing you get with the 55-75k off vs the 35k off you got. The reason they offer the reduced prices is because that lender is guaranteeing financing for their buyers but it is not telling you what the rate will be and/or points you may have to pay. That lender is saying they will get the builder's clients a mortgage and guaranteeing it, but it is not always the best deal for the client. I'd check to see if you are able to get the reduced price for the same rate you were quoted back in July (assuming you are pleased with that rate!) Good luck to you and enjoy your new home!

Old 09-17-2007, 04:52 AM

Well, I spoke with the builder yesterday and those $50-75K incentives are for specific lots that back up to an easement owned by Sunoco. I guess there had once been a gas pipe there that has long been removed, but Sunoco still owns the strip of land behind these lots, they have been harder to sell.

I hate doing this crap, so I certainly hope they offre no more "deals" until we close and the deal is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages