Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleblessings View Post
I have read that mortgage brokers can still make money with no points and no origination. I thought they made money by selling my loan to someone else, usually at a lower rate then they are giving me. If this is so, then why would they charge againa and again (point, origination fees). This ia also stated in Dave Ramsey's book the total money make over. Please advise.
Points: Can mean two things. 1. "up front", usually called origination points (percentage of the loan 1 point=1%) or 2. "discount points". This is paid to the lender(mortgage holder) to buy down the rate. Each lender charges this differently but usually 1 point, or percent, buys down your rate by 0.25%.

The other way a broker/banker can get paid is from Yield Spread Premium. This is a percentage of the loan amount the lender pays the broker/banker.
But it raises you rate. Brokers HAVE to disclose this amount to you on a GFE, bankers do not by law.

No one will do a loan for free. You can either choose to pay the fee on the front end, bring cash to closing for those fees, or finance them into the loan by having the broker/banker get paid by the lender in Yield spread. Some folks decide it is better to split this, pay some of it, say half a point on the front and half a point in Yield spread. They don't "charge again and again" they can just break it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,340 times
Default Broker Fees

Does the broker also charge a fee in addition to the other fees? Line 808.

What is reasaonable here?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,894 times
You will need to add up all fees minus the appraisal fees from the 800 lines.

A broker might charge a 'broker's fee', but a mortgage lender might call it administration fee.

The difference with the broker and lender is that a broker can negotiate the fees. If the fees belong to the brokers, he can easily negotiate it with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim7878 View Post
Does the broker also charge a fee in addition to the other fees? Line 808.

What is reasaonable here?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 PM

26 posts, read 124,847 times
What fees are associated with selling a home? We expect closing costs when we purchase, but what are the typical fee's with selling?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,894 times
it varies by state.....normally excise tax....or stamp tax...and attorney fees, realtor fees, seller pays closing cost fees. etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by river67 View Post
What fees are associated with selling a home? We expect closing costs when we purchase, but what are the typical fee's with selling?

Old 10-26-2007, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,098 times
Nope, Origination is the fee the loan officer splits with the mortgage broker/lender, 1% is great. If they aren't making a YSP on the back end too. Processng fees run anywhere from $450 to $1000 in this area OUCH....Tell your loan office to add all the junk fees into one Origination fee that is tax deductable. Tell him to figure it all out in his office. BE FIRM ALSO ask him to disclose how much he is making on the back end too ( ysp) aka yield spread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korillian View Post
Okay, so I just got my GFE back from my lender. There is a 1% loan origination fee, as expected. But there is also a processing fee of $699.00 and a settlement/closing fee of $225.00. That seems a little excessive to me. I remember reading somewhere, I thought on this board, that there are 'junk fees' often included in mortgage processing.

So, here is my question: what is the loan origination fee? Should the costs of processing my loan and closing on my loan be included in that?

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,515 times
Those fees seem to be normal and fair to me. Actually, the settlement fee is very low. I work for a broker as a processor, and we charge $500-750 for processing (depending on the type of loan) and settlement costs, which are paid to the Title Company and not the lender or the broker, run around $600.

What you have to remember is this - the origination fee is paid to the broker who then pays the loan officer. This is for finding you the loan. And the processing fee is for paying the processor for the paperwork. The settlement part of the process involves a whole other company, with staff THEY need to pay. There are countless man hours and supplies involved in the processing of a loan. Everyone who works has to get paid!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,277 times
Under title charges (1100) the following are listed:
Settlement or closings cost 2000
Owners title insurance 2000
Lenders title insurance 1500

Is this reasonable for illinois?

Old 06-26-2015, 09:18 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccreed View Post

Start a new thread and include the amount of the mortgage.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:20 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccreed View Post

Almost devoid of information really. As for the Owners title insurance that is optional coverage, though you should get it, that protects your money in the investment. If you have a large down payment then you absolutely need this coverage. If you are doing a VA at 0 down or FHA at 3.5% down then you can likely skip the coverage because the lenders policy (mandatory and 1500 is reasonable) covers the major concerns. Looks like your total out of pocket is only 2000 plus whatever your earnest money was so you don't seem to have put much money in and could do without the owners policy, I don't recommend this it is just an option if you are early enough in the process. You likely already made an election to add this coverage with your title company and it may be too late to have it removed but you can ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages