U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:35 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,683,043 times

Advertisements

Just a newbie question about rates- when a 30 yr fixed rate figure is mentioned (on this board or in the general media), what does this rate signify? Is it the average rate across all lenders? Median rate? Lowest rate you can get if you have perfect credit? Or something else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 AM

510 posts, read 3,060,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Just a newbie question about rates- when a 30 yr fixed rate figure is mentioned (on this board or in the general media), what does this rate signify? Is it the average rate across all lenders? Median rate? Lowest rate you can get if you have perfect credit? Or something else?
The most common mention of an actual 30 year fixed rate has to do with what a current rate would be for a well qualified borrower. This mention of rate will stem from non industry people's internet research of averages, and industry people's direct observation of rates offered daily.

So, if you don't have great credit with provable income, 99% of the time when a rate is mentioned it won't apply to you. There's so many variables within a loan application that can have an effect on the rate and costs, that we never really make general mention of anything but the best rates. Many people will give an estimate based on someone providing multiple variables though...

Old 09-20-2007, 04:16 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,624,465 times
a good place to check out what borrowers are actually getting

Freddie Mac's Homepage

Quote:

Old 09-21-2007, 11:34 PM

3,110 posts, read 9,872,474 times
It helps with construction financing. We're building now, and it's a one-to-one drop on our construction loan. However, when it converts to a 30yr fixed, I don't believe it will have any positive effect on our rate from what I've been told.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:13 PM

29 posts, read 132,898 times
Default so banker9679 was right..

long term mortgage rates go up when fed cuts rates !!!?

Mortgage rates rise third week in a row - Sep. 27, 2007

Old 09-27-2007, 05:21 PM

yep! i posted this a few weeks ago...and nobody believed me.

they thought i was cuckoo

Old 09-28-2007, 07:53 AM

I think some of the media is at fault, for assuming that the .5 rate cut would apply to mortgage rates too. The day of the cut, I heard one TV reporter say "with the .5 cut, homeowners will likely save $X per month on their mortgage payment".

Old 09-28-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurali70 View Post
long term mortgage rates go up when fed cuts rates !!!?

Mortgage rates rise third week in a row - Sep. 27, 2007
Great..so my potential interest rate rises, and my savings rate (ING Direct) drops. Hopefully at least SOME Americans are benefiting from the cut.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:59 AM

8,885 posts, read 18,059,013 times
Quote:
I think some of the media is at fault, for assuming that the .5 rate cut would apply to mortgage rates too. The day of the cut, I heard one TV reporter say "with the .5 cut, homeowners will likely save $X per month on their mortgage payment".
Haha! Guess some of these reporters should have taken some business classes on top of their journalism major. I'm amazed at how many times they use the word "subprime" and then go on to report on lending practices that aren't subprime.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:08 AM

yep it's all economics....and even if they didnt take economic classes....they should've at least look at history repeating itself.

you can look at the market charts from 5-10yrs ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or