Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times

Advertisements

Hate to say I told ya so, but....

Mortgage interest tax deduction may be in danger « HousingWire

It's probably going to go "buh bye" gradually, but I expect that by the time my kids buy a house, there will be no mortgage interest deduction whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 01:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
First, I'll believe it when I see it. Second, that article talks about it maybe being reduced for high income earners. I wonder how many people that would actually impact?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM

92 posts, read 229,877 times
IMO, they first need to get rid of it for second homes, lower the value of mortgages that qualify, and then start in on the high-wage earners (my definition: people earning more than $250K single or $500K married). They can't just cut it out all at once or the economy and housing markets will really tank when people have to scramble to pay taxes or refuse to buy expensive homes, especially in high-cost markets. I know it would make me think twice about how much house to buy (and where to live).

Old 02-14-2011, 01:54 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Meh, if you need the deduction then you're doing it wrong.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:56 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
lol - "high income earners"... Gubmint is sure cracking down on that hurting group!

They'll do away with it because they have to and it won't spare anybody.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default While I appreciate your efforts to scare the pants off sellers...

...I think that any honest analysis of the likelihood of any such radical change in mortgage interest deductibility would it put it somewhere between "Ron Paul defeats Obama in 2012" and "Barney Frank and Rachel Maddow web in lavish Valentine's Day Ceremony..."

There are some things that just are so unlikely that one cannoth fathom how they would come to pass.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times
Just looked back at this and saw a huge "smiley" on the post. Didn't mean to do that. (I don't really think I did.) The screwed housing market is not something I find funny.

As to comments-- they start with one group and gradually expand to all the others. If you try to hit everybody at once, enough people are effected to make the backlash to politically hot. So you hit one group. Then add a little more, a little more, a little more....till finally no one gets any deduction.

I personally don't believe in the deduction, but this is a helluva time to phase it out.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Just looked back at this and saw a huge "smiley" on the post. Didn't mean to do that. (I don't really think I did.) The screwed housing market is not something I find funny.

As to comments-- they start with one group and gradually expand to all the others. If you try to hit everybody at once, enough people are effected to make the backlash to politically hot. So you hit one group. Then add a little more, a little more, a little more....till finally no one gets any deduction.

I personally don't believe in the deduction, but this is a helluva time to phase it out.
But nothing has actually happened yet. If and when they actually do a cut with one group then that is something to talk about.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM

470 posts, read 1,500,927 times
I am all for it, providing there is extensive overhaul of the income tax system, such as going to something like the Fair Tax. However, under the current system, keep it, it is not the government's money to begin with.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett
... so unlikely that one cannoth fathom how they would come to pass.
-- This year. --

The current Federal budget deficit is North of $1 Trillion.

"Discretionary spending" - all of it - is only a few hundred billion.

Something is going to give. The Mortgage Interest Deduction doesn't
have to be completely eliminated. There are lots of possiblities.
-------------------------------------------------------------
- phase-out if your income is over $ xxx ( xxx - to be reduced further in later years )
- phase-out if your interest expense is over $ yyy ( yyy - to be reduced further in later years )
- only allowing zz% of the expense ( zz - to be reduced further in later years )
- insert your own idea here [ ...... ]
-------------------------------------------------------------
It will work the same way the Alt-Min tax works. The threshhold for getting
snagged by the Alt-Min used to be way beyond most people. Now, ( the dollar
amount ) for a lower middle class income is what used to be an upper class income.

Inflation is a great tool in the government's toolchest for invisible taxation.

Social Security is going to be cut.
Medicare and Medicade is going to be cut.
The Defense Budget is going to be cut.
Lots of tax deductions are going away.

They will, at least, pretend that the international Reserve Status of the dollar is going to be preserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages