Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 12:05 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,476,526 times

Advertisements

We have an arm that is tied to the 1 year Libor index.
Our 1st arm adjustment was last May.

Before that we had an Interest only loan for 7 years.

So our arm is due to adjust once a year, correct?

I thought so, but the last few mortgage statements state it is scheduled to adjust in June of 2013.

Any thoughts?

I am not complaining, we are at 3.0% now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,008,907 times
Yes, your ARM will adjust once a year in May, but you wont see the new payment til June.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM

413 posts, read 830,874 times
Why not refi? If rates go up you could get burned. You could probably do a 5/1 ARM and lock in a rate under 3 for another 5 years.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
Why not refi? If rates go up you could get burned. You could probably do a 5/1 ARM and lock in a rate under 3 for another 5 years.
We have no equity to refinance. Our loan last adjusted in May of 2011.

Isn't it supposed to adjust again this year?

If so, something changed because we are now not set to adjust until June of 2013.

Is this the bank's doing? They must be worried we won't pay if it adjusts this year? The rate on the 1 year libor did go up a little bit.

I usually pay the monthly mortgage payment at the B of A branch on the last day I can, which is the 16th. LOL. Maybe that worries them.

We have the money, but I hate to pay my bills until I have to.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 PM

Anyways, it did adjust, I guess I overlooked the paper on it, or they did not send it. I probably overlooked it.

It went from $1470.91 to $1507.27. About $36.00 and change.

Still cheaper than renting, our neighbors pay $1800.00 in rent for the same size home.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,453,074 times
Does that 1471 / 1507 include taxes, insurance and HOA dues, or is it just your P+I ?

If it's the former, then yeah, you're better off. But if it's the latter, after factoring in things like maintenance and depreciation, your renting neighbor could potentially come out ahead.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,034 times
I have had my 5 year arm based on the one year Libor for 7 years now. Up side is after the the 5 years is almost 50% of my payment go's to the principle. Before you think about refinancing, do the math. The Libor will have to go up huge to offset the difference in dollars going to the princple. Keep your credit perfect and this is a great mortgage to have. you pay down the home faster and when the Libor go's up, which looks like it will be a while before we see a huge spike, then refinance.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,772,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
I have had my 5 year arm based on the one year Libor for 7 years now. Up side is after the the 5 years is almost 50% of my payment go's to the principle. Before you think about refinancing, do the math. The Libor will have to go up huge to offset the difference in dollars going to the princple. Keep your credit perfect and this is a great mortgage to have. you pay down the home faster and when the Libor go's up, which looks like it will be a while before we see a huge spike, then refinance.
Yep. For almost the past 4 years with 1 year libor or treasure rates being close to zero.

Those who had ARMs resetting have actually seen their payments go down based on interest rates being very low.

Why doesn't congress or the media report this? And I doubt short term rates are going up for another 2 years. So these people with arms would have had significantly less interest rates for 4-6 years ongoing.

Of course it's a ticking time bomb if people cannot handle the potentially 2-5 percent bump in rates once interest rates do come back up.

Arms are great IF you understand the maximum rate you can handle.

Even interest only arms are great for certain people (people with significant assets or income to cover any potential losses....so interest only probably would be beneficial for someone in the top 5% in terms of assets).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages