Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:06 PM

566 posts, read 2,985,058 times

Advertisements

Aren't we saying the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 07:07 PM

95 posts, read 304,505 times
Question ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
X, 802.02: “Representative” Credit Score

When there is only one borrower, the single applicable score used to underwrite that borrower is the “representative” credit score for the mortgage.

If my dh makes 50000. a yr before bonus
An I make 28000. before bonus
But I have the higher credit score, Can I get the home loan useing my score but based on our total yrly income?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:12 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times
whenever there is 2 borrowers....or 3borrowers...REGARDLESS of who makes more...the lowest representative score is used.

SOME lenders may use the primary wage earner, but that varies with products. I know some ALT-A products took the primary wage earner, but ALT-A loans are almost extinct.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:21 PM

If you say so...

...I guess we wont get into the discussion of why that isn't the case when MI is present.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:26 PM

David....I dont know when you were in the mortgage industry, but I do this EVERYDAY. I deal with many lenders, and run scenarios with AU every single day.

I speak to Underwriters trying to figure out solutions for a mortgage EVERY DAY.

MI wasnt the question.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:32 PM

Applause....

I'm also in the industry (currently) and speak to loan officers, underwriters and lender reps, ect on a daily and/or weekly basis.

Maybe MI wasn't the specific question, but either way, you're still wrong. Plain and simple.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:35 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
OK guys, please stop arguing.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:36 PM

LOL I'm not arguing....I'm being harassed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
OK guys, please stop arguing.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
LOL I'm not arguing....I'm being harassed here.
LOL!!!

for the record, I'm not trying to be a jerk or harrass you

Old 09-25-2007, 08:06 PM

510 posts, read 3,201,133 times
There's been some differing info posted into this thread, and some direct quotes from underwriting guidelines. However, I believe many of the posts were not clear in that they applied to a specific type of underwriting or guideline.

There's plenty of lenders out there, and plenty of ways to qualify someone.

First, most A-paper loans are run through an automated underwriting system. The loan officer can do this themselves. These automated programs consider the credit scores, and credit history of all borrowers as a whole. I've seen people with scores as low as 550 qualify for this a-paper loan ("approve/eligible"). However, some lenders may still implement hard coded guidelines to overrule this finding, although that is rare. They do however quite often look at scores when it comes to pricing, ie. what rate you can get.

The next level of loans is what many call Alt-A loans. They can be called anything, but they are best defined as loans in between A-paper and Sub-prime loans. These are basically any loan that doesn't fit within "conforming" guidelines. These can be jumbo loans, pay option arms, etc... These loans typically have a set of guidelines regarding credit score, and which one you use. The guidelines tend to be consistent, but definitely vary from lender to lender regarding who's credit score is used.

Then the final level is Sub-prime loans. These loans tend to use the middle fico score of the primary wage earner. In the past sub-prime loans had very competitive rates, and in many situations offered a better rate than A-paper. With the recent meltdown, sub-prime rates have actually become what they should be based on the risk.

So, in closing... If anyone tells you that they "always" use the primary wage earners credit score they are wrong. If anyone tells you that they "always" use the lowest fico (or middle fico) of all borrowers on the loan then they are also wrong.

There are many consistencies across the lending industry, but every client is different. If you are not in the cookie cutter scenario, great credit, income, equity, and proper loan amount... then it's best to invest some time shopping around for a program that fully benefits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages