Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 PM

5,299 posts, read 5,978,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
I used this tool once before, with the same results:

Based on the information you provided your mortgage may not pass a HAMP NPV evaluation and you may not be eligible for a HAMP modification. Be sure to save a copy of the information below and share it with your mortgage servicer to discuss options available to you.

Ah, but you probably did not gross up your SSDI 125%. Nevertheless, one unknown is the formula that is used to determine whether it would benefit the investor to go forward with the foreclosure. I know that factors in the formula include where the home is located, time it would take to foreclose, amount the foreclosed home is likely to sell for after a foreclosure (stigma related to foreclosure) and in some cases, your credit score. Those factors are written into the NPV test. (Obviously, I like to research stuff. )

Right now, I am holding tight as long as I can. It's tempting to do a strategic default, but as yet the Mortgage Debt Relief Act has not been extended beyond 12/2012. I will see if that is extended before I make a decision to stop paying.
I need to get my application in pronto. If the MDRA is not extended, trial payments must be in effect before 12/31/2012 and given various deadlines under Fannie Mae, the application would need to be received by my lender by September 30th. This is my impetus. It may be my last chance to obtain a reasonable mortgage rate. In terms of taxes and forgiven debt (Fannie Mae does not pursue deficiencies unless there is clear fraud) the nonMDRA IRS regulations allow for the nontaxation of forgiven debt if the debtor is insolvent (more debt than assets) or declares bankruptcy. No problem for me (or you, for that matter.)

Here's hoping all works out for both of us, regardless of our respective decisions. I'm figuring either way, we will both keep on chugging along!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 PM

530 posts, read 1,338,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I need to get my application in pronto. If the MDRA is not extended, trial payments must be in effect before 12/31/2012 and given various deadlines under Fannie Mae, the application would need to be received by my lender by September 30th. This is my impetus. It may be my last chance to obtain a reasonable mortgage rate. In terms of taxes and forgiven debt (Fannie Mae does not pursue deficiencies unless there is clear fraud) the nonMDRA IRS regulations allow for the nontaxation of forgiven debt if the debtor is insolvent (more debt than assets) or declares bankruptcy. No problem for me (or you, for that matter.)

Here's hoping all works out for both of us, regardless of our respective decisions. I'm figuring either way, we will both keep on chugging along!
Yeah there are many factors in that NPV, mostly what is to the lender's best advantage. I did forget to gross up my SS....duh! I have a friend pursuing a loan mod and she is dealing directly with Fannie Mae and not the lender. I called to check on that a few months ago and Fannie Mae said they would not accept my application until I was more than 30 days late. But after dealing with my lender when I first looked at the loan mod, if I had to go that route, I would try Fannie Mae first...at least you can get them on the phone.

Let's keep each other updated on our progress (or lack thereof!)

Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,913,153 times
Quote:
Well I may have been wrong. I just got a call from the bank that I do not have to sign the appraisal form, since HARP does not require one. Nor do I need to pay any fee to lock in the rate, and the problem with no GFE was I clicked the wrong button on the electronic documents page. So we'll see how this goes. I'll let you know if it is successful or not. They did gross up my SS, as Lenora mentioned, and also the DTI is based on the new loan, so I was wrong there.
i only know a little about hamp and nothing about harp. i haven't heard of closing costs for this before. is that normal?

Old 06-15-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i only know a little about hamp and nothing about harp. i haven't heard of closing costs for this before. is that normal?
Yes, HARP just lets you refinance when you are underwater and have no equity. You still need to qualify as usual (income, credit score, no late payments, etc) and the closing costs are typical (3% of the loan). The only low-fee refis I have seen are for larger loans. I would be lucky to get this.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, HARP just lets you refinance when you are underwater and have no equity. You still need to qualify as usual (income, credit score, no late payments, etc) and the closing costs are typical (3% of the loan). The only low-fee refis I have seen are for larger loans. I would be lucky to get this.
interesting, thanks. i wonder why the .gov guy kept talking about hamp to me instead of harp. maybe because hamp wouldn't have refi fees, i don't know.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
interesting, thanks. i wonder why the .gov guy kept talking about hamp to me instead of harp. maybe because hamp wouldn't have refi fees, i don't know.
HAMP is very different, and can have some very negative consequences. HARP just allows borrowers who are current on their loans to refinance even if they have no equity. Have you read the information on the government website? It explains the differences in these two programs:

Making Home Affordable

Old 06-16-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
HAMP is very different, and can have some very negative consequences. HARP just allows borrowers who are current on their loans to refinance even if they have no equity. Have you read the information on the government website? It explains the differences in these two programs:

Making Home Affordable
i'm current as of today. tomorrow is another story! mine isn't freddie mac or fanny mae (where did they get these funny names?!) i think that's why. thanks.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
i'm current as of today. tomorrow is another story! mine isn't freddie mac or fanny mae (where did they get these funny names?!) i think that's why. thanks.
Yes, if it's not a Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac loan (I too wonder about those names!) you are not eligible for any of those programs. But you can still try and refinance at a lower rate, unless you are underwater.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:29 PM

yep, very underwater.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
yep, very underwater.
I read last week where Congress are considering a HARP 3.0 for loans that are NOT Fannie or Freddie, but it's anyone's guess what the outcome will be. They are also discussing how to lower closing costs to make more people eligible, but I am afraid to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages