Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:48 AM

373 posts, read 1,471,470 times

Advertisements

I guess what I really have a hard time wrapping my head around is "when did it become okay to break the law" if you replace illegal alien with another broken law would you say it was okay? What kind of society will we have if we teach our children to only obey the laws that benefit each of us individually?

If someone broke into your home, would that be okay with you as long as they didn't hurt your family? Where is the line?

There is a point at which our economy will crumble under the strain of unregulated immigration. Hospitals across the nation are closing in record numbers. If we become unable to care for ourselves, how will be help others. There is a very real economic impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
That was a different time. Immigration laws are super tight now compared to back then. If your relatives would want to immigrate now but not then, they probably would not qualify.

I find it very "let them eat cake"-ish to compare today's illegal immigrants with yesterday's legal immigrants in the manner you did.
I don't. Times change, laws change. I still have relatives in eastern Europe who are attempting to immigrate to the United States who are doing it legally. I'd have no sympathy for them if they came over here illegally and were deported. Oh well, too bad.

Maybe my ancestors would qualify, maybe they wouldn't. It's irrelevant anyway.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
It's definitely a risk the OP has to take into consideration. From what I've heard though, in most cases they won't deport for overstaying a visa when getting married, but like the examples you pointed out, it does happen pretty frequently. It's certainly better to apply from your home country and only wait for a little while than being banned for 5 or 10 years from reentering.
I've seen it happen enough times that I would not be so nonchalant about going out of status.

I think the OP should consult an attorney; if he/she doesn't play his/her cards right, he/she could find him/herself up poo creek.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:42 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Just change your surname to something Spanish...

Old 09-27-2007, 01:46 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,001 times
Really? What would you do if your country was infested with poverty, drugs, corruption, and maybe even ran by a dictator?

How about those mexicans that are being killed everyday for trying to stand up against those drug cartels?

Or cubans that have to face a dictator?

What if you cant find a job to support your family....they have no food on the table but you would prefer for them to 'stand by' the values of integrity.

I dont agree with illegals coming to the US to abuse the healthcare systems, law enforcements, jobs, etc. either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCruzes View Post
I guess what I really have a hard time wrapping my head around is "when did it become okay to break the law" if you replace illegal alien with another broken law would you say it was okay? What kind of society will we have if we teach our children to only obey the laws that benefit each of us individually?

If someone broke into your home, would that be okay with you as long as they didn't hurt your family? Where is the line?

There is a point at which our economy will crumble under the strain of unregulated immigration. Hospitals across the nation are closing in record numbers. If we become unable to care for ourselves, how will be help others. There is a very real economic impact.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
Really? What would you do if your country was infested with poverty, drugs, corruption, and maybe even ran by a dictator?

How about those mexicans that are being killed everyday for trying to stand up against those drug cartels?

What if you cant find a job to support your family....they have no food on the table but you would prefer for them to 'stand by' the values of integrity.

I dont agree with illegals coming to the US to abuse the healthcare systems, law enforcements, jobs, etc. either.
I'm not unsympathetic, but we cannot take every single oppressed person in the world into this country. They need to fix their own countries' problems; it isn't our responsibility.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:06 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,600,702 times
Quote:
You mean like around the DC/Maryland area? I have been hearing for the last 7 years or so that there is Dictator there named Bush. I know for a fact that the area is riddled with poverty, drugs, and politicians, ah, I mean corruption.

Quote:
Miami, right?

Quote:
I was right! Miami! Try and argue with any of the cartel leaders in the area.

Quote:
I remember those days in San Antonio when I first got married and was fresh out of college.

Quote:
I concur. Let's only allow US citizens to abuse the heathcare system and break our laws. Seriously, I agree that illegals are criminals by the very fact that they have immigrated illegally. I do not see any mitigating circumstance that is potent enough to make me want to dismiss our laws and turn the other way for this offense. Perhaps there can be varying degrees of punishment based on those circumstances, but no reason to pick and choose our enforcment.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:08 PM

373 posts, read 1,471,470 times
What about taking responsibility for your own country. Why not spend some energy trying to change their own sytem of government. I just KNOW that I am married to a legal immigrant that came from a country just like the one you speak of. And America was choosen because of it's values. They family waited in line ( for years) for their chance to become citizens. They would have never assumed that their poverty or hardship somehow usurped the importance of someone else's suffering. They never accepted government assitance (of any kind). If we, as a nation, no longer value the integrity you speak of, then are we any better than the countries these people are fleeing?

Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 PM

131 posts, read 184,043 times
Quote:
that's RIDICULOUS. Your ancestors came to the United States as immigrants.

You might as well boycott Bank of America for giving out credit cards to illegals.....Most major banks give out credit cards/loans to illegal aliens....you have to have your money somewhere..boycott all the Food Stores because they sell food to the illegal aliens........oh I forgot you have to eat.
Boycott Tyson chicken, Coca Cola...for hiring illegals.....I forgot...we need to eat chicken and drink coke.

Might as well boycott Texas for allowing all those illegal aliens to come in through the border.
I came to this country as a German immigrant, I speak English as well as anyone, I came through the right way. Everyone should obey the laws. they are not just for some and not others.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:09 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I don't. Times change, laws change.
Sure, things change. But I still think it is nasty to brag about how your ancestors did it oh so legal (where all they had to do is land on Ellis Island) while bashing illegal immigrants in 2007, many from Mexico, who arguably have more ties to places like Los Angeles (notice: it isn't called "The Angels") than some Irish immigrant had back in the early 20th century who just showed up on Ellis Island and was handed immigration papers without much ado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages